Here goes! *Update*

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
So I have my first broody hen and Chef has been kind enough to supply me with some RIR eggs to put under her. Thanks Chef!!! I'm hoping she stays on them and hatches them out, but this is the first time for both of us, so who knows what will happen. I have her isolated in a brooder with food and water and enough room for her to get up a stretch when she wants to. She has been really good sitting on her golf balls for almost a week now. I will be putting the eggs under her tonight. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
good luck i hope it works out !
smile.png
plus , im going to try raising chickens myself and i was wondering do you have to put the broody hen in a brooder when shes sitting on eggs ???

once again good luck

You don't have to as far as I know. I did because I only have one nest box in my coop, so if she sat in it the whole time, my other hens wouldn't have a place to lay. I also have a couple meanies in my coop and I didn't want them constantly pecking her while she was trying to brood.

Quote:
No problem!! I hope everything works out for you. I have had a great hatch rate on those eggs so you should be good to go! Please keep us posted.

Good luck!

Chef

Well, it didn't last. I went to let her out to stretch her legs this morning; she had eaten two of the eggs and the others were cold. I went ahead and put her back in the main coop/run area. I just hope that she won't start to eat the eggs in there now...

barnie.gif
Fickle broodies! I had a buff orp that went temporarily broody. Was actually a little excited cause I have some fertile eggs and this morning when I went to feed, she jumped up and went to eat. I'm thinking she's not as broody as she thinks she is and will keep the eggs for the bator.

Yeah, I am dissapointed. Of course, now it's making me want to get a bator just so my kids can see the process we were hoping to witness with the broody girl...

Back
Top Bottom