Here I Am!

chooky-dooks

Chirping
Aug 16, 2019
Hi! I'm chooky-dook (which is based off what I call my chickens).
I love poultry, especially chickens, and I'm interested in quail and ducks, and also heritage/endangered chicken breeds.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am new to chickens, or somewhat. When I was a child, we got chicks, but they died of heatstroke, and then predator attacks. This time I have been vigilantly watching and caring for my 2 chicks to make sure they don't get the same fate.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I currently have 2 chickens, but I really want more!

(3) What breeds do you have?
I have a Welsummer and a silkie bantam.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I just generally love birds, especially parrots and poultry! Eggs are a bonus, but I love having them and seeing them wander around the yard.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I draw, write, sing, and love learning languages.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have one sweet budgie that likes chatting with the chickens, and I want to get her a friend. If I ever get a property big enough I hope to conserve endangered chicken breeds and try to outcross unhealthy traits.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found BYC while researching for my chickens, and I've known about it for several months. As soon as I became old enough to join I did! I have many (probably ridiculous) questions and I hope to learn a lot!

Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here and feel free to ask any questions you wish.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Hi! I'm chooky-dook (which is based off what I call my chickens).
I love poultry, especially chickens, and I'm interested in quail and ducks, and also heritage/endangered chicken breeds.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am new to chickens, or somewhat. When I was a child, we got chicks, but they died of heatstroke, and then predator attacks. This time I have been vigilantly watching and caring for my 2 chicks to make sure they don't get the same fate.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I currently have 2 chickens, but I really want more!

(3) What breeds do you have?
I have a Welsummer and a silkie bantam.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I just generally love birds, especially parrots and poultry! Eggs are a bonus, but I love having them and seeing them wander around the yard.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I draw, write, sing, and love learning languages.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have one sweet budgie that likes chatting with the chickens, and I want to get her a friend. If I ever get a property big enough I hope to conserve endangered chicken breeds and try to outcross unhealthy traits.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found BYC while researching for my chickens, and I've known about it for several months. As soon as I became old enough to join I did! I have many (probably ridiculous) questions and I hope to learn a lot!

Hey wonderful person, :welcome.
It's refreshing to know that you are interested in heritage/endangered chicken breeds. Try Dominique chickens they are one of the finest heritage breed.

Since you want more birds eventually I have a word of advice for you. Try using broody hens instead of incubators and mail-order chicks. They will do a better job. Silkies are good sitters, but they are not great moms. They are kind of pushovers. Maybe they are good for learning, but I will suggest you to get breeds with better mothering abilities like Cornish, wyandottes, Brahmas etc.

I too love learning languages. Currently I am learning Spanish. I am a native Hindi speaker. After my experience with two European languages I am amazed that how much sense Hindi language makes.

I hope you will enjoy our community.

0sec.BYC-WEL-300-Farm-Conni.gif
31al.gif

FARMER CON BALLONS COPY.gif

Back
Top Bottom