Here I go again with roosters fighting

mrsp523

Songster
12 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Western Mass
the age long question - to keep or not to keep. We have 22 hens, always had at least 1 rooster (typically one). We lost one late last summer. So the hens have been almost a year talking care of themselves. We brought 2 silkier roosters home two days ago. Super friendly, been a pair of 3 for a year with no hens to mingle with(someone resused them and I guess enjoyed there company???). Any ways. Night one we put them I need small coop alone with plans of slowly integrating them. I get the whole pecking order and how that changes when u add or remove from a flock. They started fighting as soon as we let them out to run in pen, the hens were not in pen with them. We opened whole pen up for all to mingle thinking maybe they would chill out. They fought until I had to separate due to it getting bloody. The hens were not impressed. I separated the two. But not the one allowed with hens and run of the whole pen won't leave the side of the other rooster (thru a fence) They litterly act like they can't be separated but when ever I give them a shot together the war starts again. I'm thinking if I don't get rid of one the other will just stay glued to the other between a chain link fence. They both act like a male should, playing the mounting game, and trying to call the females in with food, and both crow. Should I give it time- if so how long(it's a pain keeping them separate) or am I prolonging the inevitable? And making it worse cause now neither is interacting with the hens- they could care less that there are 22 chickens around them. They are very human friendly. Thanks for listening.

Should have brought home all three. Two roosters focus on each other. At this point you have 2 options, let them fight it out, from my experiences bantams fight but never do enough damage to kill, or keep them separately, either choosing one or swapping them out. I personally would let them fight it out, but my flock is 100% free range and they can get away from each other. They had a pecking order when there was 3, but only 2 changes that.

Mine free range 1/2 the day, and when not free ranging they have very large pen that we actually set up a huge section that is behind coop in a semi woodsy section were we used to keep pigs. Think it's too late to take the third? I'm sure the lady still has him. Or is it too late with already changing them once and it being Day 3. Last night I couldn't even pen them at night together as come sunrise I was afraid to find one dead and one seriously wounded. I only worry that I then have 2 roosters to re home or cull. And I hate tell my husband - "we should have taken all three". Cause he wanted the 3 and I said I only wanted one, so we settled in the middle. He wants to let them fight it out- I myself couldn't watch that.

Also these don't seem to be bantams- they r bigger than my other bantams (who are not silkies) but still smaller than the other hens.

[QUOTE="oldhenlikesdogs, post: 18641630, member: 36]Should have brought home all three. Two roosters focus on each other. At this point you have 2 options, let them fight it out, from my experiences bantams fight but never do enough damage to kill, or keep them separately, either choosing one or swapping them out. I personally would let them fight it out, but my flock is 100% free range and they can get away from each other. They had a pecking order when there was 3, but only 2 changes that.[/QUOTE]
I had two silkie roosters and ne almost killed the other

Mine free range 1/2 the day, and when not free ranging they have very large pen that we actually set up a huge section that is behind coop in a semi woodsy section were we used to keep pigs. Think it's too late to take the third? I'm sure the lady still has him. Or is it too late with already changing them once and it being Day 3. Last night I couldn't even pen them at night together as come sunrise I was afraid to find one dead and one seriously wounded. I only worry that I then have 2 roosters to re home or cull. And I hate tell my husband - "we should have taken all three". Cause he wanted the 3 and I said I only wanted one, so we settled in the middle. He wants to let them fight it out- I myself couldn't watch that.
I would than pen one, while the other is lose, swapping them out every week or two. You may be able to get them together again in the dead of winter when hormones are lowest and both roosters are more familiar with your flock and your place. You may find you like one more than the other as well.

My separation pen is about 3x6, and is big enough to keep a rooster in long term. Pen the rooster right in the coop if possible, so he's still a part of the flock. Sometimes roosters will work out the pecking order through the fence.

Ok maybe we will give it time- we have space, but we're getting turkeys in a few weeks so the turkeys will take the back side where we have one rooster by himself. It's easily 10x10or more, but I can manipulate another space about the same size. I hate for either to not free range. But if it's short term for the sake of keeping them- then it will do. They are identical looking for the most part so maybe the hens won't catch the swap And yes I put the other rooster in with the large coop with rest of hens tonight. He is fine with them, his issue is when I let him out he runs to the back of pen ignoring the hens so he can be with his pal through a fence who he has a love hate relationship with. Wish us luck. Thanks for your input.

Give them some time to adjust, I might try letting both out after a week or two and see how it goes, than keep trying every few weeks to see if they can work it out without a big fight, separate them when it gets to be too much.

Back
Top Bottom