Here is my chick tractor.

firetrie

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Niles, MI
I whipped this up in a weekend, out of the stuff I had laying round. Its changed a little since the pictures but I really like it.

tr02.jpg

its an old contractor truck cap that was sitting in my backyard. The rear doors were damaged due to vandals (while it was on my truck) and I took it off and hoped I'd have the money to fix it. but I like my truck without it now so there it sat until I came up with a use for it.

you will notice that the front two feet is closed in, to provide that shelter from the storm thing, and that is where the food is kept.

I also used treated 4x4s as runners along the bottom with angled ends to slide over the ground a little better. the run is connected by S hooks so as to lighten the load when moving. Also notice the run posts extend past the top. This for the tarp to make some extra shade when its too hot.

I left the lower sides open for 2 reasons. Air flow and comfort. That way the little guys could see me coming and get excited.

tr03.jpg

Here I have opened the side door to get inside and change food and water. The top is insulated with foam and both side doors open. You can also see the heat lamp for those chilly nights. There was an old skid for roosting spots, but that was replaced by 1 inch doll rods, and the chcikens are happy with the change... That skid was hard to get a foothold and I worried about splinters....

tr04.jpg

here you can see the where the rear doors where removed and the whole thing rides on the 4x4s.

Its a little different now but I like it all the same.

wow. . .good thinking. . .im not really sure that i would think of that!!
-alex GOOD LUCK WITH IT!!!

Very nice, way to go!

Are those Golden Sexlinks? They look almost identical to our Golden Sexlink chicks which are about 4 weeks old right now.

They are golden comets. They were about 6 or 7 weeks old in the pictures... they were born April 9th 2007.

Back
Top Bottom