1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Here is Rhett the "only chick"

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Ellie, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    At 6 and a half weeks. He is still with his mama, Lacy. She left her first batch at 4 weeks and still protects and tries to feed this one at 6.5. I think it is because she is more experienced and she knows he is alone.

[​IMG]

And with his mama

[​IMG]

He is delightful and not afraid of me, which is great. I am hoping he is like his grandpa, Hawkeye, and daddy, Dutch. (From Speckled Hen)

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    So is that GLW the real mama of that BR roo?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nope, Mahonri, Rhett is the son of my BR rooster, Dutch, and one of the BR girls, Holly. I sent Ellie "emergency eggs" when Lacy went broody.

4. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Lacy is a Golden Laced Cochin. If you look real closely (and who normally would, lol) you can see her furry feet!

This is one chick from 6 eggs!! Not only that, but this is my third try at getting a rooster since mine died. I got four wonderful girls from my first try at eggs from Cynthia... who woulda thunk it? Most get roos, nope, I get hens.

This time, I got my roo. I am ecstatic and keep posting his handsome picture, lol.

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    That is the perfect picture of the Day.

Very beautiful.

Thank you for posting it.

Omran.

6. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Why, thank you Omran. It was indeed at the end of a beautiful day. I love walking out there with the chickens in the late afternoon.

7. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    What a wonderful picture of Rhett and his mama! He is so darn cute! Speckledhen sure makes good looking babies. Well, you know what I mean.
    That picture should be framed and hung on the wall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by