Here one minute, gone the next

Angel07

Songster
Mar 11, 2021
Victoria, Australia
We had 3 Rouen ducklings given to us. They were almost fully grown and I was starting to hear a quack from one. They were just free ranging around our yard before we were going to put them out with the big ducks. One day I went out, checked on them and all 3 were still there. About 5 minutes later there was only 2. I looked around the yard to try and find it and figured it must just be hiding somewhere that I couldn't find. About 2 days later, after I decided it must be gone for good a second one disappeared. I quickly got the last duck with the 2 older ones and they haven't taken any since. (This was last year and the last duck is laying now but I figured I'd ask and see if anyone knew what took them)

Foxes for the big ones out in the chook pen (can't get into the yard), crows take the eggs and hawks take the young ones. There were no feathers anywhere either.

A fox can climb pretty well.
A fox came and took 2 of my ducks. No feathers left either. The only way I know is that I have a camera set up. One was taken while I was in my house - didn't hear a sound. The other was taken months later while I was working in the front yard and the ducks were in the back. Again, I didn't hear anything.

A fox can climb pretty well.
A fox came and took 2 of my ducks. No feathers left either. The only way I know is that I have a camera set up. One was taken while I was in my house - didn't hear a sound. The other was taken months later while I was working in the front yard and the ducks were in the back. Again, I didn't hear anything.
The fence around the yard is 1.6 - 1.8 meters tall tin. I don’t know why a fox would go for the ducks in the yard when we have chooks and ducks in the main chook area?

I couldn't tell you. The fox that visited our yard wouldnt go "into" any enclosure - not the open run nor the open shed when a duck ran in. In the run there were also more ducks and chickens which could have been a feast. But, it just ran off once it caught one of the ducks. But, if your ducks disappeared a year ago and hasn't happened since, it's just going to be a guessing game. Cameras would be the best tool to figure out what predators are lurking. Why are your chickens in such a vulnerable area?

I couldn't tell you. The fox that visited our yard wouldnt go "into" any enclosure - not the open run nor the open shed when a duck ran in. In the run there were also more ducks and chickens which could have been a feast. But, it just ran off once it caught one of the ducks. But, if your ducks disappeared a year ago and hasn't happened since, it's just going to be a guessing game. Cameras would be the best tool to figure out what predators are lurking. Why are your chickens in such a vulnerable area?
We let our chooks and ducks free range during the day and lock them up at night. We haven’t lost anymore while during this. It was only because they were still too small to be out with a drake that they were in the yard. I locked them in their cage at night and let them out during the day. I am doing all I can to protect them while still making sure they are not kept locked up 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom