Here we go...

Owllea

Songster
May 23, 2021
NE Kansas
Hi everyone,
(1, 2, 3) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? How many and what breeds?
Started in 2019 with 2 each of Orschlen RIR and BR (but likely some California grays, as one lays whitish eggs and has white ear lobes), and Cackle hatchery welsummers. Also have a black sex link: tough bird has gone through dog attack and sour crop surgery. Have hatched a few for fun (with mixed roosters of Buff Orpington and speckled Sussex/Wyandotte) creating barnyard mixes and have three hens and one rooster from the first hatch. Kept the rooster (looks all welsummer) and the second hatch this spring resulted in 9 but lost all but one rooster of second hatch to a raccoon. Have the third hatch on day 7 in the incubator. And a reinforced chick area. The adults have a converted storage shed and covered run, and we use Premier one electric fencing to keep the neighbor dogs from visiting.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
The eggs! And the helpful compost, leftover food disposal. They are fun to watch too! We have butchered a few extra roosters and that has been a rewarding experience as we explore raising our own food in multiple ways.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Just got into Purple Martin housing this year, and I’ve been working toward native plantings to attract monarch butterflies. If we get to leave home, then camping and hiking. Plants and animals do make up most of my free time.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Our house is full of Dogs, cat, rabbits milksnake, turtles, and a bunch of houseplants with a very tolerant husband.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I enjoy this site for a resource, as so many people share their great ideas and experiences. Can find a lot of answers on here, and am hoping no more slow loading or errors if ads aren’t popping up all the time.

That’s all, not likely to post or respond to many threads (except the guess the mystery chicken ones, those are my favorite). Hope you all have a great day! A85CD3E2-79FF-49BA-8938-F30D2F04F1B4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom