Here we go.

SoCalHotspur

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 26, 2012
Bakersfield
Hey everybody. We're just starting out on this adventure here in Bakersfield,CA. Can't wait to start building a coop so I can start collecting some eggs. We became interested from all the research we did on how animals are treated in the farm industry. Going vegan sounded way too hard for us meat eaters. So, why not go outside the box and make you're own eggs(not us literally). Hopefully this adventure isn't too crazy or expensive. We are grateful for an online community like this with loads of information. Can't wait!

welcome-byc.gif
Enjoy the trip!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
You will find everything you need right here! Check out our Learning Center for all the basics and the top of each section for the blue "sticky" threads. There you will find handy links to threads covering the frequently asked questions and other important info. Also check out Frequently Asked Questions, if you scroll past the site related Q's you will find more chicken related Q's and links to answers and discussion. In the Coops section you will find some great designs and some of those coops were not terribly expensive either. And if you have any more questions, just go to the relevant section and ask. We're here to help!

Welcome from a fellow So Cal-er! My husband and I went nearly vegan a few years ago after doing the same research you did on factory farming. After about three years, I couldn't handle it any longer and had to go back to meat but nothing factory farmed. We had a hard time finding meat that suited our specs, but now we have a local source for beef (it's sooo delicious!) as well as pork and chicken. This also led to us raising our own chickens, in addition to the extra food security it provides. The eggs are so yummy and we have four "customers" that buy from us to supplement our organic feed costs. It's so much fun, a bit of a learning curve, but with the help of this forum you'll do just fine.

Back
Top Bottom