Here's My Coop Plan but a Few Questions

Save yourself the headache just ignore all future concrete comments! imo

You coop is starting to look good!
I love the extra hardwire cloth on the underside....great idea.
thumbsup.gif

Coop Build - March 31st - Day 3

Weather broke yesterday. Mostly cloudy with a couple sun breaks but no rain!

Glued down and stapled the edges of the vinyl for the platform and then framing began. I've never done framing so it was a bit intimidating getting started but once we got going it went pretty well. I was expecting to get one or two walls framed but we got 3 done which is great!

We decided to tackle the simplest wall first. This is the back wall and will have the raised nest boxes (6 of them) that will extend out the back. We spaced the boards 13" apart where the boxes will go and will build them out later. Found a video on YouTube of a guy adding boxes to his existing coop so we decided to follow his plan.

Second wall framed up with space for a 36 x 48 inch window. The two roost bars will be placed parallel to this window. I plan to put the window in backwards so I can open and close it from the outside. I decided this would be easier than going in the coop and having to reach over the roost bars to open and close it. We need to add extra boards to the right and left of the window space for more strength. Was an oversight (late in the day after the 3rd wall was up) to not do that before we raised the wall but nothing is completely nailed or screwed down so we can still do that.

Third wall up has the access door from outside. No window on this side because the door I'll be using is actually a storm door with windows and a screen on the top to let lots of light in. We went with a sloped roof so the front of the coop is 8' high and back wall is 7'.

The fourth wall, front of the coop, will be the most complicated. It will have another storm door entrance accessible from the run, the chicken door, 2 36 x 36 windows and a 6 foot long louvered vent near the roof line. There will eventually be ventilation along the top of the back wall also. Should be lots of natural light in the coop with 3 windows plus the windowed storm doors.

If the weather holds, we plan to start on the last wall tomorrow. Once they are all done, we can start squaring them all up and nailing them down and together.

Save yourself the headache just ignore all future concrete comments! imo

You coop is starting to look good!
I love the extra hardwire cloth on the underside....great idea.
thumbsup.gif
Thanks!! And yes, I'm now done explaining my desire and reasons to have concrete but the input is appreciated and duly noted.

I have a converted tin shed and hate most of it, so im in the process of planning a rebuild, my roost I did with hardwood tree limbs my girls love it., I will post a pic below. You have awesome plans, keep us updated on your progress ...
Outside roost

Inside roost

I have a converted tin shed and hate most of it, so im in the process of planning a rebuild, my roost I did with hardwood tree limbs my girls love it., I will post a pic below. You have awesome plans, keep us updated on your progress ...

I like your tiered roost. I'm planning to have my two roost boards at the same level because I have read on here a few times that the chickens may squabble over who gets to be on top! Have you noticed any squabbling with yours using tiered roosts? Thanks!

I like your tiered roost.  I'm planning to have my two roost boards at the same level because I have read on here a few times that the chickens may squabble over who gets to be on top!  Have you noticed any squabbling with yours using tiered roosts?   Thanks!

Yes some but they are happy for the most part, I mostly have older chicks and 2 buff orphington's that are about 6 weeks older, so they usually win out. I am thinking of taking out that top one as it's really to small

My first coop had a concrete floor and it was never a problem. I covered the floor with wood shaving. When we got more chickens and needed a bigger space we were given a storage building with a wood floor. We painted the floor with Blackjack and then put down cheap vinyl flooring and it's working great. I also put woods shaving on that floor, too. It's easy to sweep out when I want to change out the shavings.

Got sun and warmth, working on coop.
Covered inside of North wall and set window

Then catastrophe sets in.....
Broke my dang foot.....

Clean off, snapped my bolts right off... lol
o m g...April fools joke?

Back
Top Bottom