Here's My Dilemma

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mtnhomechick, Nov 29, 2009.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I got a little pullet to be a house hen 5 months ago........turned out to be a little banty roo. Well, he has his own tractor and is living outside now, and free ranges during the day. Has fun humping my door mat and eating the outdoor cats food. Mean little guy but he's a cutie. So the other day one of my layer hens got out and he darn near beat her up. Put her in her place big time. I was thinking about getting him a harem for the tractor...will he hurt them? Has he been an only roo too long? Also want to do my usual meat bird thing in the spring and like to free range them. He is kind of used to being the " Only Roo" with his own bachelor pad and I'm wondering how it's all going to play out. Of course the meaties will have their own digs.

BTW......haven't posted here on months......nice to get back in touch.

Mary

2. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    anyone?

3. detali

detali Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Sounds like he's been sex deprived for way too long. So when he got a hen near him he made the best use of her. Poor girl! If he was the only roo with a bunch of gals he'd get his hormore needs taken care of, maybe to exhaustion, and wouldn't wear any one of the gals out.

4. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    No. It wasn't sexual. If was a FIGHT. He's only 5 months old. I want him to have the normal life of a roo.......as long as he doesn't think of himself as an ONLY now and try to kill the others.

5. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Now I know why I don't come here much anymore. It used to be a nice place to visit. Thanks for all the input guys!

6. kipepeo

kipepeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
    Quote:you seem to be a little impatient for responses. I don't have an answer though sorry

7. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Maybe try a little Alpha move yourself while you're with them together, sort of an interdiction. Spend time with them after and see how that goes. Some roos are just plain ornery and wouldn't work out even If you put a shock collar on him.

Best of luck though, I'll cross my fingers for you.
    [​IMG]

8. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I think he will still be okay to have his flock, but he was just a bit testy. Maybe he felt his turf was challenged since he's not really used to the girls.

Best of luck and have a blessed evening.

9. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    My little roo is all by himself in a tractor.......observing 52 full size hens interact all day in an enclosed run and coop. I am thinking he's lonely and would like some girls. The only time he ever got around one was when a full sized redstar got out and he fought with her...........it wasn't sexual. I just don't know whether I should chance getting him some banty hens for companionship cause I think he might kill them. Otherwise he seems fine being and only child with a bachelor pad. Then there's the meaties freeranging in the spring.

10. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Thanks Bargain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by