Heritage Feeds for Heritage Breeds

Thats a good procedure Chris, not many people do it that I know of, but it works, and its old, my grandmother did it a very long time ago.

She would also add a pinch of yeast to it, but she did this in like two quart batches, in the late winter. I remember the containers on a table near her bread rising place. She made bread twice a week.

If anyone has a place for sprouting its definitly worth doing !

I would like to do the soured oats for my shamo. When you say bin oats what kind do you mean? I don't know grains. Also what is the vitamin mix? And what is the ratio of vitamin mix. acv and water?
sharon

I like your vitamin water souring idea, Chris. Bet it would pack a punch. Souring with kefir or kefir whey is another great way to increase vitamin content and add probiotics.

Incidentally, sprouting is incredibly easy with a large bucket and a bag made of shadecloth. No space needed, just soak the grains for 24 hours (quarter bucket of grains to three quarters water). Next day drain and hang the bag and feed it out over a few days as the sprouts grow (rinse once daily and de-compact if it starts to clump up too much).

Quote:
Sharon,
Bin Oats is just regular Oats, at the feed mill it is the Oats that they store in there big steel storage bins and is what they would use when they mix feed.
The vitamin Mix that I use is GQF Vitamin Plus, I like it and it work well the way that I'm using it.
As for the mixture I go 1/8 cup ACV, and 1 teaspoon per gallon water.

Chris

Quote:
Sharon,
Bin Oats is just regular Oats, at the feed mill it is the Oats that they store in there big steel storage bins and is what they would use when they mix feed.
The vitamin Mix that I use is GQF Vitamin Plus, I like it and it work well the way that I'm using it.

Chris

THanks for the info! I would like to give this to them. Will report back how it goes.
sharon

Quote:
Sharon,

Chris

THanks for the info! I would like to give this to them. Will report back how it goes.
sharon

When you feed the soured oats, just start them with about a 1/4 cup per about 10 birds as a mid-day snack.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
sharon

When you feed the soured oats, just start them with about a 1/4 per about 10 birds as a mid-day snack.

Chris

1/4 cup?

Quote:
When you feed the soured oats, just start them with about a 1/4 per about 10 birds as a mid-day snack.

Chris

1/4 cup?

Sorry about that yes a 1/4 cup.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom