Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by juststruttin, Oct 20, 2013.

1. juststruttin

juststruttin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    California
    I was reading through this thread again as a way to honor Bob and found this tidbit that I thought was timely. Wow, the more I read his posts the more I realized what a truly great man he was.​

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014
  2. thedragonlady

thedragonlady Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    She's really growing up Cindy.Looks like good, even color too.

2 people like this.
  3. Extra Java

Extra Java Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Southern CA
    My Coop
  4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Bob Blosl wrote:
    "In regards to the person who asked what do I do to try not to screw up a old line of Heritage Birds such as this old LINE of Mottled Javas. I just painted a picture for you. I could do this with any breed of Fowl. Just Go Slow, Go Small and Think into the Future with Vision. Many people do not or can not be breeders of Live Stock because they were not born with the Vision trait. My wife goes into a store and touches everything she walks buy. I look at it with Vision and wonder what it would look like on a person. Some are what we call Auditory minded. They say when you talk to them Could you run that by me one more time and kind of TILT there head to the side to listen. I remember one time in school my teacher asked one of my friends what was the capital of Alabama and he looked up at the ceiling and after about 20 seconds said Montgomery. Then She said what is the capt ital of Oregon he did it again and he said Salem. Latter after class and we where out side playing I asked him why he looked up at the ceiling he said I could visualize the map of the United States I then could see the state and then the Capital of it. I latter asked the teacher if she saw what my friend did she said yes isn't it something. I said why does he do this and Martha looks down and touches her dress when you ask a question. She said she is a feeler or .Kinesthetic.

http://personalityjunkie.com/01/learning-styles-personality-type-visual-auditory-kinesthetic/

My friend is a Visual and other kids are Auditory. I latter studied this in sales and found if you know what the person is or his wife when you are making your presentation you can get them to say yes at the end. So in breeding chickens it helps if you have this God given gift."
    ===================================
    I am very visual. I found Dr. Silverstein and her work in Colorado to be extremely enlightening: http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/
    This book, esp. was a revelation, " Upside-Down Brilliance : The Visual-Spatial Learner": http://gifteddevelopment.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    In November 2013 issue of Saveur Magazine they have on the cover two roast heritage birds, naked necks. What a wonderful article it is extoling the virtues of heritage fowl.

6. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Well, I'm just home from a weekend away (without a computer nonetheless).

I received "the call" from a mutual poultry friend Friday, mid-day that lives near Bob and Zora. No doubt, he was truly a great friend, mentor and "cheerleader" for our hobby. My experience with Bob goes back to 2009 when I was a "true newbie"....I had reached out to him as the Secretary of the PR Club in my search for Columbian Rocks. He ALWAYS had time to talk, even when he was busy with other things. He answered my questions with such kindness and enthusiasm, even though I'm certain he had answered the same questions thousands of times.

In 2010, Bob called me....very excited. He had arranged for me to get my trio of Columbian Rocks via the Ohio Nationals, all of this he had been working on "behind the scenes" as a result of a casual conversation in 2009.....he had not forgotten me and when to great extremes to help someone he only knew over the phone. The conversation we had was much like a father/son conversation, excited about something they enjoyed together. We touched base regularly, even seeing each other at the Newnan show this last year. Bob would check in frequently, always interested in the progress being made, but also asked about family, etc.

He is a true friend that will surely be missed by many....and am certain he will be watching over us all.

My heart is saddened....

But I feel truly blessed to have known him and to have experienced his mentoring

3 people like this.
  7. juststruttin

juststruttin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    California
    oops double post

8. Apdeb

Apdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2013
    Woodbridge Ct
    I think everyone on this thread thats breeding large fowl deserves a huge ovation!!!! At Little Rhody there were only 175 large fowl out of 653 birds!!!! I dont know about other parts of the country but bantams are taking over up here in the northeast!!! Yes please keep kicking can down road!!!!!

9. Yellow House Farm

Yellow House Farm Overrun With Chickens

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    This mad me chuckle! Once, Bob and I were on the phone, and, getting ready to tell a story, he said, "Now, listen up and learn something..." I know tone can be hard in writing, but it was classic, very paternal, and truly endearing.

Speaking of the Little Rhody Poultry Show, I was there clerking today, and thought about Bob repeatedly. It's great to be part of this confraternity of folks involved in an endeavor that is ever as much science as it is art, wrapped in a shawl of determination.

The large fowl class really was great, Apdeb, you're spot on. The bantams have, indeed, been the meat of the shows for several years. Many--many--noted how large the large owl class was and how nice it was to have such a plethora of strong birds to choose from. There were, indeed, very few large fowl there that one would have called "hatchery class".

I showed a string of White Dorkings. People were very excited about them, not because they're show stoppers individually. They are yet to be able to run the length with my buddy Dan Castle's Australorps, but people in the know were very much surprised by the quality of their type, their uniformity and consistency, and....yes, my favorite compliment...how nicely they were washed--Thank you, Bob and the Heritage Large Fowl Thread community....I applied the advice I was given by those who know the ropes and EUREKA! I was, indeed, proud of the display.

Moreover, I took Champion Mediterranean with this pullet:

[​IMG]

and Reserve Champion Mediterranean with this pullet:

[​IMG]

I think Bob would have been excited. There were some great large fowl there today: excellent Dominiques (Ch American), Australorps (Ch English and Champion Large fowl), Silver Laced Wyandottes, White Wyandottes, Light Brahmas (Ch Asiatic), Black and Partridge Cochins, Golden Campines (Ch Continental), Salmon Faverolles, Barred and White Rocks. There were even a pair of respectable Barnevelders--which is no small feat. Did I mention the class of White Dorkings ([​IMG] )?

Yes, indeed, a great day of heritage large fowl for all.

7 people like this.
  10. windyflat

windyflat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Nice chickens Joe!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by