heritage or production Roo?

slordaz

hatchaholic
5 Years
Apr 15, 2015
Idaho

Rocky is out of April Hatch, we got and they weren't sure what they were Rhode Island Red, sorry for other chickens in background he is always watching the hens and a bit camera shy

Last edited:
Thanks, good thing he is a good rooster. alt easier to deal with than the barred rock for us and the girls seem to love him to death I would get hurt most likely if I tried to get rid of him. Wanted a heritage but the girls would have my hide and right now not enough to hens for another rooster

He's a Production Red, however he's dark enough that he might have been marketed by a hatchery as a Rhode Island Red. Technically speaking, there is little or no difference between hatchery quality RIRs, NHs, and PRs. If they are of a darker shade of red (closer to mahogany) the hatcheries often market them as RIRs. If they are of a lighter shade of red (closer to chestnut), they often market them as NHs, or sometimes incorrectly as New Hampshire Reds. And if they are somewhere between or very uneven in color, they are marketed as Production Reds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom