heritage rate per pound in 2013?

This is my first year selling thanksgiving turkeys. I was unsure of prices at first but decided on $5 per lb for heritage and $4 per lb for BBW.

I don't have enough this year to sell because of my incompetent incubation hatch rate but last year i sold them for 8 per lb.

I don't have enough this year to sell because of my incompetent incubation hatch rate but last year i sold them for 8 per lb.
Wow $8 per lb. I wouldn't think people would pay that. I do feel like I am giving myself the short end of the stick with the lower prices because I definitely am not making any money off of all the work I have put into them. Maybe next year I might try to raise the price by $1.

How many turkeys did you sell last year at that price?

12 is the number I sold at $8 per lb.
The weights of hens at 6 months were from 10 to 14, and the toms were 15 to 21.
Dressed.

$3.25 per lb dressed!
How can you not be making money at $5 per lb? I am making money at my prices, maybe not as much as I'd like, but a profit none the less.

With that said, I have two poults that I hope to breed as that is the ONLY way I will ever get even a small amount of my money back. Not going into details on the debacle, but $48 for two and I will never buy from that person again!

Back
Top Bottom