1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heritage Turkey processing weights

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by deineria, Mar 2, 2013.

1. deineria

deineria Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    Can anyone give me feedback on the average processed weight of heritage turkeys at 6 months old?

Please let me know some management practices - i.e. medicated feed, hatchery stock verses breeder quality stock -

2. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    At 6 months a heritage turkey has not even finished growing it's frame, or started to put on much weight, so it would make a very skinny processed bird! They do not usually reach max processing weight until they are near 18 months. At 18 months, you can estimate the process weight to be 20% less than live weight. At 6 months, they probably won't reach 40% of their live weight, after processing. Hatcheries put live weight averages in their catalogs, for each breed and I know I listed most of the APA recognized breeds on some of the turkey threads in which this question was asked. Keep in mind that individuals can differ from each other as well as different breeds can differ. The largest Heritage breeds are Standard Bronze and Holland White, the Smallest are Midget Whites and Beltsville Small Whites, all the others fall in between, with an average weight of approx. 33 # for toms and 25# for hens at 18 months and that is live weight.

3. retlaw

retlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Last year at 6 months when i harvested my blue slates the biggest one was 21lbs dressed.
    I do not need them bigger them that.

Small hens were around 10 lbs.
    Perfect roasting size for me.

If I had to wait 18 months to harvest I would be broke.

4. beanmcnulty

beanmcnulty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    I take mine at almost 7 months and they are 8-9 hen and 14-15 tom. I did some calculations and vs the BBW they eat about twice as much since they take about twice as long, so I am thinking on trying some BBWs for those customers that dont want to pay for all that feed! Some customers don't mind but it's a niche market for sure.

5. msmeower

msmeower Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Flat Creek, TN
    Are those weights (8-9 for hen, 14-15 per tom) live weights or processed weights?

6. beanmcnulty

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    Those are processed, I do not know what the lives may be, but probably close to 11 and 20.

7. beanmcnulty

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    And just an aside, I did do some BBW this year and at 4 months old were 20# processed so they weighed about 27 live, quite a difference!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by