Heritage White Dorking Thread

Just letting everyone on this thread know I will have chicks available this Spring. Really looking forward to this bunch. Most of my males are at standard weight and really starting to get some Dorking looking birds. Finally... I'm not done yet but getting closer.

Hi Yellow House Farm,
I was suggested in the baby chick photo forum page that you may be willing to give me a bit of help. I'm hoping so :)
We just purchased 16 chicks from My Pet Chicken and they hatched and were sent out Monday. We received them Tuesday afternoon.
All of them are doing well except one, our little silver gray dorking.
She is a little smaller than the rest of them, and when she walks I noticed that she wobbles quite a bit and seems like she's going to fall over but doesn't. It always looks as though she is dizzy. She can get around the brooder for food and water, but it takes her longer and she stops and sits down often. I was wondering if this sounds like anything you've seen or heard. She's the only one doing it and I wasn't sure because she was so much smaller than the rest if maybe she's just got some growing to do or the stress of the trip was just harder on her.
We usually don't worry so much if one chick or two or so don't make it but we have limited space in keeping chickens so we ordered only one of that breed (along with many other one of a breed) so hate to loose her.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know that my pet chicken are not the same quality as what you might buy from a breeder but we weren't looking for breeder birds, just some multi colored eggs and prettt birds.
Thanks, if there are any questions I can answer please don't hesitate to ask if it'll help.

Just in case someone happens across my question I wanted to update. My little Dorking (aka Juno) is 100% better! She seemed to need a little TLC and she seems to be walking, eating, drinking, and running a little like the rest. She's still the runt of the group but at least she's doing great. She's got wing feathers and tail feather bits. :)

It seems it is very difficult to find White Dorkings, so I was wondering that while searching for them if I could create my own line by crossing a Silver Grey Dorking with a white feathered, rose combed chicken (Wyandotte, Leghorn...), and then crossing back with Silver Grey culling for White Dorking SOP.

It seems it is very difficult to find White Dorkings, so I was wondering that while searching for them if I could create my own line by crossing a Silver Grey Dorking with a white feathered, rose combed chicken (Wyandotte, Leghorn...), and then crossing back with Silver Grey culling for White Dorking SOP.
Do you have a good enough line of silver grays to be able to get type back after wrecking it with another breed?

Back
Top Bottom