Herpes virus in puppies

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
I have a litter of puppies that are 60 hours old. I believe that they are infected with the canine herpes virus (nose virus). This AM they were fine, but are fading fast. Is there anything that I can do? I have raised the temps in the whelping box to 100 degrees F. Everything that I have read indicates that in such situations puppy mortality is generally 100 %. HELP!

Make a call to your vet immediately. Good luck!

Needless to say, that was my first contact. His response, "Raise the temperature and pray." I don't pray for such things, but I raised the temperature in the whelping box. One pup has died, another is lethargic, but the largest and strongest has resumed nursing. Hopefully, I can save her.

In a time span of 8 hours two out of three pups went from vigorously nursing to dead. The third pup, so far, continues to nurse, and at 4 days of age has doubled in size. I had a similar situation about 40 years ago and at that time lost 5 of 6 pups in a 12 hour period. The 'nose virus' is rampant at field trials in my area right now, and 7 of my 10 dogs have evidenced symptoms. It must be an extremely virulent variant as even a 12 year old b*tch who has been all over the country evidenced symptoms.

Very sorry for your loss. Terrible disease.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom