Hey! Am I crazy for disagreeing?

Yes the article makes a good point, how these measures are not taken due to breed disposition, but due to living conditions.

Anyone here need to debeak their brown eggs layers???

Commercial settings find ways like this to increase profit in anyway they can. No matter the breed, large-scale commercial breeders or companies will find ways to cut back on costs and increase profit, like preventing loss of birds or injury by removing beaks like this. As many of us here know, it's not the breed that 100% decides what the bird is going to act like as it grows. It's up to how it is raised. So when they said "aggressive", it's just because anybody would fight if they were crammed with hundreds of others in cages.

This is beyond cruel. And as stated above it's just something big companies do because they're in 1x1 cages or so crammed in with each other they can hardly move.

In my opinion articles like that are written to play with you emotions. There may be a grain of truth in it (not much in that article) but they typically play fast and loose with facts. Their purpose may be to sell column-inches or get enough hits on their blog so they make money off of advertisers. If they are really good they may sell you a book or a T-Shirt. Or they may have an agenda they are trying to further.

I encourage anyone that reads an article like that to think with their heads instead of their hearts.

The people publishing the Guardian probably have no background to base an opinion on whether that article is fact based or not. And my understanding of the Guardian is that they have a history of publishing fairly extreme views, often of the left but occasionally from the right. In general the Guardian's fact reporting is fairly well respected but there is a big difference in news reporting and offering opinions. This looks like an opinion article, not a news article.

In my opinion articles like that are written to play with you emotions. There may be a grain of truth in it (not much in that article) but they typically play fast and loose with facts. Their purpose may be to sell column-inches or get enough hits on their blog so they make money off of advertisers. If they are really good they may sell you a book or a T-Shirt. Or they may have an agenda they are trying to further.

I encourage anyone that reads an article like that to think with their heads instead of their hearts.

The people publishing the Guardian probably have no background to base an opinion on whether that article is fact based or not. And my understanding of the Guardian is that they have a history of publishing fairly extreme views, often of the left but occasionally from the right. In general the Guardian's fact reporting is fairly well respected but there is a big difference in news reporting and offering opinions. This looks like an opinion article, not a news article.
Welcome to British printed media. The days of newspapers are long gone. I wouldn't mind if it was still left wing, but it isn't. It's become a publication for the chattering classes.

Back
Top Bottom