1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hey BYC, This is Amanda from Black Sheep Hollow in Prince Edward County

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ourlittlehollow, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Ourlittlehollow

Ourlittlehollow Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2016
    Bloomfield, Ontario
    I am so excited to finally be a member on this website. We started with a small flock of, 16, day old heritage chicks last May. We now have 21 chickens, 6 ducks and two turkeys. Our turkey hen started laying eggs in December, after the temperature climbed to almost 15 degrees. I didn't want to lose the eggs so we bartered for an incubator. Glad we did, our duck started laying the same week. We have 40 eggs incubating between turkey, duck and chicken and have only lost one so far far a week into incubation and the first turkey eggs which was small and after candling appeared completely infertile.

This morning I heard pipping inside the eggs so I think were close!

I'm really happy to have a place to ask all of my questions to. The local farmers have been wonderful in giving me good advice but ultimately for them the chickens are just a business and for us with out small flock, they are our pets; at least I want to treat them that way.

We have a fenced 3 acre pasture. We have and assortment of bantam and standard hens, we have 5 roosters. Our chickens are a mix of silver laced, gold laced and partridge cochin, self blue, brown and black silkies, red frizzle cochin, barred rock, orpington, and two little rhode island reds.

We have a Slate turkey hen and a Ridley Bronze Tom. We have a pair of Muscovy duck and drake, a pair of indian runner duck and drake and a silver apple yard duck and a khaki campbell duck.

We will be expanding our flock significantly to include Dark Cornish that we will breed for meat. They will be on a separate 1 acre pasture.

Raising chickens has been far more rewarding than I anticipated, I have learned so much this year and can't wait to learn more.

Thanks for reading!

Talk Soon!

Amanda

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Amanda, welcome to BYC, Good luck with the incubation.

3. Ourlittlehollow

Jan 3, 2016
    Bloomfield, Ontario
    Thanks!

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Amanda, I think I just welcomed you on your thread about incubating eggs. It's nice to have you here!

5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Amanda and a warm welcome to byc - seems chickens maths has you firmly in its grasp! :D

Good luck with your hatch and future plans
    Ct

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope you will update and let us know how the different hatches turn out. Sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG]

8. Ourlittlehollow

Jan 3, 2016
    Bloomfield, Ontario
    Thanks Everyone! Im going to start posting about the hatching under the hatching category…Thanks for the support!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by