Hey BYC, This is Amanda from Black Sheep Hollow in Prince Edward County

Ourlittlehollow

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2016
Bloomfield, Ontario
I am so excited to finally be a member on this website. We started with a small flock of, 16, day old heritage chicks last May. We now have 21 chickens, 6 ducks and two turkeys. Our turkey hen started laying eggs in December, after the temperature climbed to almost 15 degrees. I didn't want to lose the eggs so we bartered for an incubator. Glad we did, our duck started laying the same week. We have 40 eggs incubating between turkey, duck and chicken and have only lost one so far far a week into incubation and the first turkey eggs which was small and after candling appeared completely infertile.

This morning I heard pipping inside the eggs so I think were close!

I'm really happy to have a place to ask all of my questions to. The local farmers have been wonderful in giving me good advice but ultimately for them the chickens are just a business and for us with out small flock, they are our pets; at least I want to treat them that way.

We have a fenced 3 acre pasture. We have and assortment of bantam and standard hens, we have 5 roosters. Our chickens are a mix of silver laced, gold laced and partridge cochin, self blue, brown and black silkies, red frizzle cochin, barred rock, orpington, and two little rhode island reds.

We have a Slate turkey hen and a Ridley Bronze Tom. We have a pair of Muscovy duck and drake, a pair of indian runner duck and drake and a silver apple yard duck and a khaki campbell duck.

We will be expanding our flock significantly to include Dark Cornish that we will breed for meat. They will be on a separate 1 acre pasture.

Raising chickens has been far more rewarding than I anticipated, I have learned so much this year and can't wait to learn more.

Thanks for reading!

Talk Soon!

Amanda

Hi Amanda, I think I just welcomed you on your thread about incubating eggs. It's nice to have you here!

Hi Amanda and a warm welcome to byc - seems chickens maths has you firmly in its grasp! :D

Good luck with your hatch and future plans
Ct

Hope you will update and let us know how the different hatches turn out. Sending good hatching vibes your way
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom