Hey feathered friendsđź‘‹

RhodeIslandBred

Chirping
Aug 2, 2020
I started my backyard chicken journey about three years ago. We started with four birds, 2 RI Reds and 2 black sexed link. Last spring we introduced 8 new birds and this spring 2 more. I now have colorful flock including rhode island red, black star, easter egger, speckled sussex, columbian wyandotte, silver laced wyandotte, blue laced red wyandotte, cochin, and barred rock. We've also got a new addition from about two months ago, what I'm pretty sure is a dark brahma cockerel about 10 weeks old. He was a bonus bird from a hatchery order that was rehomed to us albeit temporarily if he is in fact a roo.
I love learning about and caring for our birds, they all have such different temperaments and personalities and they are so gratifying to keep. It's lovely to have fresh eggs and to pass them on to our friends and family.
I'm also a mama to two young ones and a small business owner.
I decided to finally join BYC after ending up here after countless Google searches to answer my endless query of chicken questions, looking forward to engaging now!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Are you not permitted cockerels/roosters where you are?
Hello, thank you!
They are allowed however we have a small property surrounded by other residential homes so while our chickens can be noisy at times, I want to be considerate of our neighbors.
We'll probably take a wait and see approach, I go back and forth about the pros and cons of keeping him.

We'll probably take a wait and see approach, I go back and forth about the pros and cons of keeping him.
How close are the neighbors?
I would certainly wait and see too. You need to find out how obnoxious his crowing is or isn't and see how develops temperamentally. If he turns into a monster turd, decision made!
If his crowing isn't bad, you might find that the neighbors enjoy it. I know my neighbors love hearing my boys crow but they are not obnoxious about it at all.

How close are the neighbors?
I would certainly wait and see too. You need to find out how obnoxious his crowing is or isn't and see how develops temperamentally. If he turns into a monster turd, decision made!
If his crowing isn't bad, you might find that the neighbors enjoy it. I know my neighbors love hearing my boys crow but they are not obnoxious about it at all.
He's really quite sweet so far. I'm hoping because he's the last bird to the flock and our oldest hens are rather dominant, he might just be a gentle (quiet) giant.
Our neighbors are very close, the plot sizes are all about a quarter acre but we have two other neighbors on our street with birds one of which just acquired a rooster so I'll let her test the waters with her noisy boy and see how it goes:p

Back
Top Bottom