Hey from CA!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DavidILoveYou22, Dec 22, 2012.

1. DavidILoveYou22

DavidILoveYou22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! I live in Northern CA, near Lake Tahoe. I live on five acres with my mom, dad, dogs, cats, cockatoos, and chickens. Right now we have 2 older hens that don't lay, a guinea hen, two entirely useless ducks, and four 6-8 (?) week old Buff Orpington/Rhode Island Red/Light Brahma/Americauna chicks we bought to replace the 11 hens/guineas we lost in a recent bear attack.
    I joined this site to get information on general chicken related things, including stuff about my four 6/8 week old pullets, and the other laying breed chicks we'll be buying in March. I am also trying to learn more about slaughtering and butchering chickens, because we'll also be ordering some broilers. This is my first time that I'll be trying to raise chickens for meat, so any tips about the slaughtering and butchering of meat birds would be helpful. Specifically, I'm wondering about the slitting the throat part of the killing-cone-and-knife technique. Do you just cut across the entire throat, or is it just a quick cut in the middle or something? And where in the neck do you cut? Right below the chin, or like an inch down, or what?
    Anyways, I'm really glad for this website. I'm very happy that I can join this site and be part of this community.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012
  2. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    [​IMG]
    Wow! for 12 you sound more mature then me [​IMG] There are some great butchering threads here that should answer all of your questions.Good Luck[​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, DavidILoveYou22, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us. You sound like you have given this whole thing a lot of thought - I respect that a lot. Killing a chicken isn't something to be taken lightly and I appreciate your question. As Crafy-Duck said, there are a lot of great butchering threads on the Meat Birds Forum. I can say this to address your question - a cut on the side of the neck below each ear will do the trick - that cuts the jugular and not the esophagus, making bleeding out quick and efficient. That being said, a killing cone works great - seems to keep them calm and reducing flopping. I wish you all the best and happy holidays.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. DavidILoveYou22

Thank you all so much! I'm really happy to be on a website with such helpful people!

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! You'll find more tips on raising broilers and butchering techniques here: Meat Birds ETC

8. DavidILoveYou22

Thank you!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What Sumi said.

[​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by