Hey from Texas (Rancho Chickacabra)

Chickacabra

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Central Texas
Hi, I've been lurking for a while, so figured I'd introduce myself. My name is Russ and I live out by the lake, west of Austin, Texas. I've just finished my coop (aka Rancho Chickacabra) and will be creating a page shortly to show the process. I have yet to fill my coop with birds, but my family has been tending to my neighbor's chickens/ducks for about a month now while they are on a long vacation. I've been working hard to be generally self-sufficient (garden, rain barrels, etc.), so chickens were the next logical step.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Sort of new, but had ducks as a kid. Also had friends who had flocks on their ranches. Currently caring for neighbor's flock.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Zero, but intend to have around 6.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Planning on getting Australorps, Barred Rocks, or Wyandottes (probably the latter).

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I was Googling all over lookng for coop plans and chicken breeds. This page seems to be one of the best.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I'm a professional archeologist by trade, so I spend a lot of time looking for old things. I also like to garden, fish, kayak, and camp (and now raise poultry . . . ).

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My wife and I have 2 kids (boy and girl twins). We also have an Australian Shepherd, a fat cat, and about 200 guppies. The kids can't wait for the chickens. They spent a great deal of time helping build/paint the coop.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from all of you. Look for me next year during Austin's Funky Chicken Coop Tour (http://fccooptour.blogspot.com/).

Russ

Well, Russ welcome to BYC. Been to San Antoine and loved it, still talking about it 7 yrs later. Pardon me if I suggest that you can order a variety of breeds if your not sure what you'd like. 3 of this, 3 of that. The kids just love the variety and have their favorites. Lord I wish I could come to Texas again. Glad your here. I wish you the best.

welcome-byc.gif
from the UK

Howdy Russ,
welcome-byc.gif
from South Carolina!

I spent a lot of time on Lake Travis and others, spent most of my life in Austin!
Don't mess with Texas!

Thanks to everyone for the welcome. After several attempts, I finally got pics up of my coop if anyone is interested (see "my page" link to the left). Does anyone know how to get it posted in the "Coop" gallery?

Thanks,
Russ

Back
Top Bottom