Hey guys, need some chick help

Thebossbaby

Chirping
Jun 19, 2017
so, I'm hatching chicks right now, they are expected to hatch this weekend (7 days). I have a run for them near where my big chickens are. The dogs scare of predators for the most part, still a fox may get one now and then. However, I don't think chicks would be able to fight against a possum or raccoon so I need to put a rooster in there. My question is, if I do this will the rooster kill the chicks? Or will he protect them?

Like Buttonquailgirl said, depends on the rooster. If the chicks are being taken care of by a hen, she will usually help keep them protected, but not in every situation. When they hatch, I would maybe let the rooster see the chicks, but keep him far enough away to not hurt them, and see how he acts with them when they're a few days old.

^--------- YES! THIS! I brooded 8 batches of chicks outdoors in a wire pen in the run, in full view of the adults at all times. The adults - including a couple of roosters - could walk freely and openly all the way around the brooder pen on 3 sides. But I'd never have put a single chicken out there if I hadn't gone to the nth degree to make sure that my setup was as predator proof as humanly possible instead of relying on flock dynamics to take care of any predators that might have a taste for a chicken (or chick) dinner.

Okay. Your chicks need to be in a secure brooder, with a heat lamp, until they are six weeks old. And then, it depends on the weather,a nd temps in your area. DO NOT put a rooster or any other grown chicken in with your chicks. They will most likely kill them.
Also, most likely if you put checks anywhere that predators can see them, they will probably get eaten. Predator know they are helpless.

This is batch number 6 out of 8 batches raised this way over the years. NO heat lamp, in full view of the rest of the flock, temps often in the 20s dipping into the teens. Integration with the rest of flock started at 3 weeks using those little doors that are visible in the video, full integration with the flock at 4 weeks, brooder and all heat removed at the end of that 4 weeks, with the brooder pen torn completely down. No dust in the house, no cheeping all night long. Strong, confident chicks who have learned how to be chickens from watching the experts. Stress levels on me and on the chicks cut in half, they self-regulate what they need for heat instead of me, a chart and a thermometer forcing it on them.

I'm not saying this is the ONLY way to raise chicks. I don't have that right any more than anyone else does. This is totally unconventional, and I get that. I also know that everyone has to do what's best in their situation, for their setup, and what's within their comfort zones. And however they are raised, they do indeed need a secure enclosure.

But this is how I, and many others, are raising them - by duplicating a broody hen as closely as possible. If a 2 pound hen can do it with no experts, books or assistance, then why do we do it so differently and think we're doing it better?

This is batch number 6 out of 8 batches raised this way over the years. NO heat lamp, in full view of the rest of the flock, temps often in the 20s dipping into the teens. Integration with the rest of flock started at 3 weeks using those little doors that are visible in the video, full integration with the flock at 4 weeks, brooder and all heat removed at the end of that 4 weeks, with the brooder pen torn completely down. No dust in the house, no cheeping all night long. Strong, confident chicks who have learned how to be chickens from watching the experts. Stress levels on me and on the chicks cut in half, they self-regulate what they need for heat instead of me, a chart and a thermometer forcing it on them.

I'm not saying this is the ONLY way to raise chicks. I don't have that right any more than anyone else does. This is totally unconventional, and I get that. I also know that everyone has to do what's best in their situation, for their setup, and what's within their comfort zones. And however they are raised, they do indeed need a secure enclosure.

But this is how I, and many others, are raising them - by duplicating a broody hen as closely as possible. If a 2 pound hen can do it with no experts, books or assistance, then why do we do it so differently and think we're doing it better?

Where did your chicks sleep at night? I’m trying to move my girls from the house to the coop, but am curious about sleeping arrangements.

Roosters are great when you have hawk problems, they're great at spotting a predator, but coons will eat your hens and your rooster will just run and lead the rest of the hens away.
Roosters will also kill strange chicks. Don't mix chicks with adults until the chicks are 16 weeks old, or almost the same size at the adults.
And your chicks will need to be in a brooder for 8+ weeks anyhow; they need the warmth. Newly hatched chicks need a brooder with a 95*F place to get warm if they don't have a broody hen or equivalent.

Back
Top Bottom