HEY hey! New adopted mom to 8 hens in GA

Why did no one tell me I would spend HOURS outside literally losing track of time just watching my girls explore the yard or checking out a new enrichment toy I bought 😆

I’m so much more obsessed over these chickens than I ever thought would be possible! We unexpectedly adopted 8 hens couple weeks ago from a former client of mine - I’m a pet-sitter & their original owner of 5 years had to relocate to Florida for work and “couldn’t take them with her”

I’ve been caring for them whenever she’d go out of town for the last couple years so I’ve grown fond of them myself and I think she knew I would take them in a heartbeat

💓 just loving my new life - it’s strenuous but so fulfilling!!!!!! Never knew I could be be this happy cleaning up chicken poo daily and occasionally trimming chicky butts 😂

PS
Only one of our girls were ever named (roof chicky) so the day we picked them up, we had a photo shoot & it was as decided: female rappers it is ☝️
Welcome to BYC!!

I too am a new chickie mommy and live in Georgia as well! I have ten 15 week old Rhode Island Reds, and my family tells me that I am obsessed. Personally, I feel it is normal to have a gazillion photos of chickens on my phone and a web cam on them so that I can watch them any time of day from anywhere. They are very entertaining and I'm looking forward to gathering some eggs in a few weeks! So, congratulations on the new additions to your 'family!'

Yeah, I have a flock of 20 and they eat 8 cups in the AM and 8 cups again in the PM. They sure can eat a lot! We started soaking the feed in a bucket for 10 minutes since they didn't always like the pellets, but they were wasting the powder that was left over from the mash. Soaking helped a lot for us.

OK wow this gave me some great insight because I had a feeling they were being underfed and now I know why they weren’t producing eggs 😭 they must’ve been famished!! And I love that you mention the powder because I’m not going to lie; a LOT of my chickens do a lot of digging in their pellets and I’m seeing them wanting to eat the powder under it all so I was assuming they were trying to look for more calcium to take in? So i then decided to add a side dish of oyster shells just to see and honestly… they could care less! lol but now it’s making sense that maybe they want a softer version so I will definitely try soaking this weekend and see how it goes versus the pellets thank you thank you thank you

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom