Hey, new to the site and have some questions.

derekmman

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 11, 2013
Millington, TN
Hi my name is Derek, I am a new member to the site but have been coming here and looking, reading and learing a lot for years. Used this site to get a good idea on my coop that I have built, along with choosing a breed to start my flock with.

Just a shiort history:
-Finished my coop enough for the move in in late feb.
-Bought 15 New Hampshire Red chicks.
-13 of the 15 made it to laying age. 2 died after about a week with no know cause.
-With the 13 I was getting around 2 to 3 dozen eggs, at the minimum, a week
-Then had a fox flush out the hens during a storm where a limb tore a hole into the run. Lost 4 hens from that.
-Now with that almost 3 months behind me the hens are starting to put out eggs again.
-I ended up buying a NH Red rooster from a gentleman that refuses to breed and protect his flock.
If the neighbor's cat is lucky enough to sneek past our dogs and get close to the chickens, the rooster is the first to run while the hens will sound the alarm and fend off the cat while they wait for the dog to get the cat.
-I also was lucky enough to get a good broody hen out of my bunch, and would love to give her eggs to hatch instead of these infertile ones.
-This gives me my first problem, I need a good NHR rooster.
-I have been looking for a bit and can not find any in my area.
-I have given up hope on this rooster and if he isn't going to do his part then there is no reason to have him.
-Also, with this wealth oof non NHR roosters around me is there an alternate breed I can go with?

Thanks,
Derek

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Sorry to hear about your rooster and predator problems. Have a look in the Buy ~ Sell ~ Trade section, especially the Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing section, where unwanted roosters gets put up for adoption. If you can't find what you are looking for there, participate a bit on the forum until you have a post count of 20, then the system will allow you to place an ad. Good luck and hope you find a good rooster!

welcome-byc.gif
you may want to search Craig's list for your area or go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum to locate and post on your state thread. You may find local people with the rooster you want. Most people have roosters needing to be rehomed.

You can use any breed rooster you want......just the chicks will be mixed breed if your don't have a NHR.

Of course, if you only want the chicks for the fun of it, and for some replacement hens that you grew up yourself, it doesn't matter at all that they are a mix. If you are interested most in egg production, instead of eating the chickens, then pick a rooster for an egg laying breed.

I hope it works out well for you, and welcome to BYC!

Well I guess that rooster heard me talking about him and is finally doing his job now. My broody hen started sitting again a week ago. She has around 9 or 10 eggs under her, I went out tonight and candled them and had one showing some good signs.

Here is my thoughts though, would it be a good idea to give them a little more time, recheck them for signs of n embryo, and replace ones that aren't showing signs with other fresh laid eggs?

No you don't want to replace them, they will all hatch around the same time, 21 days. you don't want eggs at a different stage. she will probably kick out the bad ones or keep them as a heat sink.
just let nature take it's course at this time.
Welcome and enjoy!
Steve. :frow

No you don't want to replace them, they will all hatch around the same time, 21 days. you don't want eggs at a different stage. she will probably kick out the bad ones or keep them as a heat sink.
just let nature take it's course at this time.
Welcome and enjoy!
Steve. :frow

That's what I figured. This morning I was a little upset thinking I made her abandon the eggs after I candled them yesterday because she was waiting with everyone else to get out of the run. Checked the eggs andyou could tell she hadn't been on them for a little while. Went to go close them up tonight and she backed in them again. I hope these turn out, I an ready for some chicks. Plus today marked the first time we have cracked a fertile egg, I just glad that rooster is finally doing his job.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom