Hey there from the North!

hippiefarmer

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Hi there!

My husband and I live on a farm that has been in my husband's family for nearly a century, and are interested in living more sustainably. We board horses, have chickens, 2 dogs, 7 cats and 2 goats. I was so excited 2 years ago when we decided to get pets that make us breakfast! We already had a handful of chickens that my husband had for a few years, but they weren't laying regularly. We went on a chick buying spree - snapping up 6 banties and 4 barred rocks at a local farm that stuck a sign out front in early Spring. Then, when Tractor Supply started selling their chicks a month and a half later, we added to the variety, including Comets and Black Australorps - and two Pekin Ducklings.

Week 2 of raising chicks, one of the ducklings started vomiting (who knew ducks vomit?). I called every vet in the area until I found one that specialized in rare animals. I brought both Tate and Stooge in to see the vet: he held Tate (who, at that age was very friendly and cuddly) and, after telling me he had pneumonia, asked if I planned to eat him. "Why, yes, Doc - I paid $5 for a duck whom I'm now spending $70 at the vets to EAT him..." The vet laughed and prescribed us some medicine, which we administered to both ducklings. Once they were moved to the outdoor coop, we tried separating the ducks from the chickens and put them in a run next to the chicks. The ducks ran up and down the fence quacking and trying to get through to the chickens. We soon relented and let them back in - I think they don't realize they are different. I won't even tell you what Tate, our male Pekin, does to our hens
hmm.png
Ick, haha.

While the chicks were still indoors growing feathers, my husband and I set to work "remodeling" his children's playhouse and adding a chicken run. It was beautiful! A horrible ice storm last week has temporarily obliterated our chicken's run... good thing they are used to free ranging and finding their way back to the coop to roost at night! We just close the door once the sun sets to tuck them in. Can't wait to reassemble things, and make the ceiling supports more, well... supportive!

We just acquired 5 Black Copper Maran chicks from a farm about an hour away... can't wait to see if we got hens or roos. Will post pics later on!

I look forward to learning from everyone in the forum and sharing stories!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom