Hey there, newbie here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by really4me, Mar 2, 2015.

1. really4me

really4me Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2015
    I'm a one year backyard caretaker but new to your group. I only have 3 and 3 more peepers to join my flock, staying warm under their heat lamp. I like variety so I have all different girls and NO roosters. My 3 girls that are laying are all 10- 11 months old now. I have a buff Orpington, an Australorp and an Araucana. My 3 new peepers are a lace winged Wyandotte, a Barred Rock and a Black Sex Link. I have named all of course and weigh eggs daily, no double yolks yet but my Buff, Henretta, lays eggs the size of duck eggs on occasion.
    Guess you could say I'm becoming obsessed?? No, but really, I love this new hobby and the fresh eggs to use in my cake decorating are a nice thing to have on hand.

Any proven methods for picking Hens? I still want to get a couple more chicks. Off to Monday's routine, bye

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined our community.

3. TooManyChix

TooManyChix Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2014
    I have had chickens for about 15 years. I picked layers with colors and general appearance I liked, and I somehow ended up with mostly breeds that liked to go broody. Then I went through a "rare and unusual" breeds phase. These days I try to stay with breeds that are friendly, like Cochins. I find that the Spanish breeds are a bit flighty but are good foragers. I have always bought sexed day old hatchery chicks, but they are not 100% accurate, so now I have a few roosters and some interesting mixes.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

Picking out females from day-old chicks is pretty much impossible, unless the chicks are sex-linked. If you get already sexed chicks from a hatchery though, you should end up with pullets (though an accidental rooster is still possible).

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

It sounds like you have a nice varied flock! X2 on Wyandottes7's advice.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I agree with Wyandottes7. Chickens are not like other animals where you can tell their gender upon birth.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the flock.

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Black Sex Links are my favorite chickens; hardy and friendly egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Australorps are my favorite standard breed. They are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by