Hi advice for a newbie chicken owner pls

Quote:
Do you live on the other side of my next door neighbors?
gig.gif

I have put up with the same thing for over 10 years! It's impossible for us to be in our yard without the neighbor's German shepherd beginning to bark incessantly! If he hears the slightest sound from any direction--the barking begins and won't let up! We can't even enjoy dinner and a glass of wine on our patio most nights. We'll hear him start barking INSIDE the house at us, and then that's their cue to put him out, so he's not barking in THEIR ears.

On several occasions I've had company over for a picnic and the neighbors would invariably leave the dog outside that day and leave their house to go to the beach or wherever they go. The door barks and howls ALL day!
However, all of this has served as my trump card for getting chickens! They can't very well complain about my girls, when I've put up with their dogs for years!

Funny story: One day we noticed the dog wasn't outside...about 2 days went by and we made a mental calculation of what the dog's age must be and agreed, "It must finally have died!!!!"
wee.gif

The next day, I look out my front window, and the guy is walking another GS puppy!!
he.gif

Maybe they'd train this dog better/differently?? No such luck!
hit.gif
I'd venture to say it's even worse!

Mind you, I have dogs myself--have raised dogs my entire life, and LOVE my Furkids! But I have NEVER had a dog that would bark like this. In fact, my dogs always seemed to be puzzled about why the dog on the other side of the 6 ft. stockade fence wouldn't stop barking....I think it annoys them just as much! I think my chickens must be used to it--thankfully, it doesn't seem to bother them, but it was a worry of mine when i moved them outside to the coop.
What is most concerning to me is the bad temperament of their dogs. Both have been so vicious (it isn't just a "let me in" bark--it's growling and snarling, too!) that I have no doubt that if they ever gained access to my yard, they would attack whatever/whoever is there, be it my dog, my chickens, or me!

And don't get me started on the pack of dachsunds in the house behind us...
somad.gif

Your girls will get used to the neighborhood sounds - barking dogs included.
Right now they probably feel safest in the coop.
They'll come out when they're ready.

A friend has indoor/outdoor cats and they lay down right next to her hens.
Peace reigns...as long as the cats don't try for any of the chickens' treats
wink.png

My little barncat has taken down bunnies near her size (all of 5#) but she stays faaaaaaar awaaaaaay from my coop.
Apparently one time hearing the chickens talking smack was enough for her
lol.png

You'll find chickens love routine.
And they will let you know when something has changed NOT to their liking.

I had a window installed in my coop (converted toolshed) when I first got my hens.
As they were not yet freeranging, I relocated them to the garage for the day.
They were not happy with the arrangement, but after spending probably 5 hours in the garage they were equally PO'd about being moved back!
I got Major Stinkeye for about 3 days after I took them back to the coop.

Back
Top Bottom