Hi! Advice for rehoming roosters?

We have silkies and when you get too many roosters from letting them hatch their own, you can't even buy pullets to try even the flock out.

What I did is post two roosters for free on a couple of our Wisconsin poultry pages. I would suggest trying to find more local groups. If you're in a Facebook poultry group, click the arrow in the upper right corner. That will suggest other related groups. I'd check some of those out and join a couple.

Go back to your post and "bump" it after a few days. Craigslist I tried once and forgot about it, then suddenly two weeks later I got 4 emails. Go figure lol.
Thanks so much, that is encouraging!

There was a run for chickens a few months back, hatcheries were just trying get chicks out quickly.
Offer them for free for flock or fricasse.
*I know you intend them to find flocks but the realistic outcome is soup.
If someone is looking for scrawny cockerels to eat, they need the food.
Thanks for the information about the hatcheries--I guess I learned the hard way to not get chicks at the beginning of a season. Thanks for the advice.

Hello and welcome to BYC, fellow Texan! As mentioned, it is very difficult to find homes for roosters. (Which you have already discovered.) Some people don't want/can't have roosters, while others already have a rooster(s), and don't need any more. You have already tried the common ways to rehome chickens, and it won't hurt to give the issue more time. But sadly there just aren't nearly enough homes for excess roosters; with the ideal rooster to hens ratio being 1:10-12.
Thank you! And thank you for the information!

Back
Top Bottom