Hi all! Could use some advice.

Chickenewbie2020

Hatching
Oct 22, 2020
Hi everyone! We began our chicken journey in April of this year. We started with 10 Tractor Supply chicks. We had a stray dog issue and lost nine of our chickens. We replenished our flock with local chicks and lost one to a hawk attack, and in the last three weeks we have lost four due to Marek‘s disease. I had the first chicken that died recently necropsied to confirm Marek’s. This has been a tough go, and is very disheartening. I have received a lot of different information as far as to what we need to do moving forward. I have been told that we should only get chicks who have been vaccinated against Marek’s, now that it is present. What I would really like is to hear from anyone else who has experienced Marek’s, and how things are going for you. How do you keep your flock going, any advice or recommendations?

Thanks!!
Angie

I don’t have Mareks in my flock, but if I did have confirmed Mareks, I would only get vaccinated chicks from a hatchery. The hatchery vaccine is better than what we can get online. Then those chicks would spend 2-3 weeks kept far away frommany possible exposure to the feather dander of my surviving chickens. They need 2 full weeks to develop immunity with the vaccine. If you have a family member or friend who could keep them, or if you use good biosecurity, you might be able to keep them inside. Mareks will remain in your environment for months to years.

I don’t have Mareks in my flock, but if I did have confirmed Mareks, I would only get vaccinated chicks from a hatchery. The hatchery vaccine is better than what we can get online. Then those chicks would spend 2-3 weeks kept far away frommany possible exposure to the feather dander of my surviving chickens. They need 2 full weeks to develop immunity with the vaccine. If you have a family member or friend who could keep them, or if you use good biosecurity, you might be able to keep them inside. Mareks will remain in your environment for months to years.
Thanks! That’s what we were figuring, I just wasn’t sure if a hatchery would be up for holding onto the chicks for that 2-3 week period before sending. But, if needed, we could work it out here.

Thanks! That’s what we were figuring, I just wasn’t sure if a hatchery would be up for holding onto the chicks for that 2-3 week period before sending. But, if needed, we could work it out here.
Maybe you could set up something in your garage or laundry room like a large dog crate or something. :idunno
Glad your not giving up and good luck with your future chickens!

Back
Top Bottom