Hi all! I'm in WA state.

I've had people tell me ravens don't hang around in our area, but I know what I was feeding freezer burned/expired steak to on our apt balcony. I'd slice up any steak that was past feeding my DD, line the top rail of our balcony, & just wait for the ravens & crows to come take the strips away. Crows tried so hard to copy their big brothers, but they could only carry 1 strip at a time when the ravens could snag 3. The ravens simply took off & disappeared up into the huge cedars bordering our complex.
One crow was stubborn though. He tried twice to snag 3 strips and only managed to "fall with style" off the rail into the grass 3 stories below where he had to leave his loot. Then he had to watch for cats while he made extra trips to take them all away.
barnie.gif

He never made that mistake again.

lau.gif

I feed the crows in the parking lots where I pick up groceries - yeah, I'm that woman - and now they recognize my Jeep when I pull in. Coming out with groceries I'll see people watching the crows perched on my cargo rack & strolling around my tires waiting for me.

Yay another Washington person!

I've had a lot of chickens around western WA. The most important things to keep in mind when selecting breeds is clean legs and normal feathering (not silkie or frizzle) are the best unless you have a covered chicken run that is well drained (on sand or gravel). Poor silkies end up looking like drowned rats every time it rains and feather legged breeds get cold wet legs in the winter. If you have the right setup they stay comfortable though.

Other than that, we have a pretty nice mild climate that everything else does great in.

Good advice. I like feathered legs in theory, but can imagine how awful that would be for the chickens. Silkies & frizzles already look like Muppets to me, it's just too sad to think about facing soggy Muppets every day through the winter.

Thanks for the links. I've got all of my 2014 poultry catalogs in a binder, but I like the charts and other options available on the websites, too. I'm just in the dreaming stage for now. Gives me plenty of time to research breeds & look at pro/cons from people who own them not just descriptions from hatcheries.
Short list of what I'm looking for: Cold hardy, not finicky about light rain, good egg layers. I'm reading about Wellsummers & P. Chanteclers right now.

Have you researched Black Australorps yet. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds) and they definitely fit your criteria. They are extremely hardy. I've raised them where winter temperatures reached 30 F below zero and they did just fine in harsh climate conditions. They are very calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter made lap pets of them), and they are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. A BA holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days, and while none of mine have ever matched that rate of lay (and likely never will), I have had a few of them lay over 300 eggs in a year. I'm convinced that BAs are the best all-around, dual-purpose breeds on the planet.

:frow

Been lurking & reading for awhile. Really enjoy all of the threads; especially all the support y'all give anyone with a question or an emergency. Haven't had chickens in 18 years, but hoping & planning for the future. Our little flock was simply a random pick at the local feed store. Having tripped over BYC I'm researching & learning so I'll know what to pick for my new flock when I'm ready. Never knew there were so many different breeds to choose from back then.

:jumpy   :weee :cd

Greetings from the Eastside!

I've had people tell me ravens don't hang around in our area, but I know what I was feeding freezer burned/expired steak to on our apt balcony. I'd slice up any steak that was past feeding my DD, line the top rail of our balcony, & just wait for the ravens & crows to come take the strips away. Crows tried so hard to copy their big brothers, but they could only carry 1 strip at a time when the ravens could snag 3. The ravens simply took off & disappeared up into the huge cedars bordering our complex.
One crow was stubborn though. He tried twice to snag 3 strips and only managed to "fall with style" off the rail into the grass 3 stories below where he had to leave his loot. Then he had to watch for cats while he made extra trips to take them all away.
barnie.gif

He never made that mistake again.

lau.gif

I feed the crows in the parking lots where I pick up groceries - yeah, I'm that woman - and now they recognize my Jeep when I pull in. Coming out with groceries I'll see people watching the crows perched on my cargo rack & strolling around my tires waiting for me.
Oh....we are so much alike!! I carry small dog biscuits around in the car for feeding various wild Ravens in certain parking lots that look particularly hungry. LOL I am always looking up as they squawk from their high perches on lamp posts and buildings. Or just flying over head. Ravens and Crows can indeed recognize a face! And your car! Keep them fed this winter!!
smile.png

Love your story about the steak strips!! LOL Yes, they learn fast when they lose the loot!!

As Michael has said, Black Australorps are very cold hardy. Barred Rocks are very hardy as well. Both of these breeds can withstand some brutally cold temps. Any of the Orpington breeds and the Buff Orpingtons. All these are very cold hardy breeds and great layers too. I keep Black Australorps and Barred Rocks. Wonderful breeds to keep. Super friendly and great on the laying.

My silver laced wyandottes are beautiful, soft, and good layers. But, they don't seek out affection. I have to catch them.

Back
Top Bottom