Hi all, I'm not sure where to post this....

veronica2368

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 26, 2007
newville pa
Hi all, I have never posted in here like this, but I got some lovely "pullets" a few months ago, and it turns out, suprise suprise, that I think I have one for sure, maybe 2 roosters. One is a lovely barred rock...curvy tail feathers, he is also getting big, and has hackle feathers making an appearance. The other is a possible RIR roo....a little slower on the testosterone making itself known...but I am seeing some tail feathers that are curving a little bit and there are some with hints of dark green.
They are lovely birds, but my chickens live in a run, and 2 of my girls are 8 years old and I do not want to subject them to being jumped by a rooster.....not at hteir age....they have had a peaceful life.....I also don't want them to live with the hens in run where they can jump them all day...we can't free range, so I don't think it would be fair to the girls.
So....I need to find a nice home for these boys....I live in central pa...near harrisburg and carlisle.
Thanks very much,
Veronica

Don't be too fast to re-home the RIR. I learned the pullets have beetle black/green feathers in their tail, and they do have a bit of a comb. If I hadn't read up on the breed, I would have thought mine was turning into a cockerel. She's not.
smile.png

Is yours crowing? That would show up long before you should expect eggs. That's always the most reliable test, IMHO.

well, theres no crowing yet, I'm trying to keep an eye on the hackle feathers.....I did have a RIR that passed away last year at the age of seven...and she had a big comb too...and so do my buff orps...so I will watch and see... we think they are about 20 weeks old...roughly..no crowing at all....the BR is definitely a roo...I've never see a hen with those curvy tail feathers. lol
veronica

If hens, they'll start laying soon, if roosters, they'll crow!!! 20 weeks is about the time they start doing something! Give it some time.

As an alternative, if you really like these two cockerels, you could make them a bachelor pad. Roosters aren't fussy about their housing.

Back
Top Bottom