Hi all my chicken peeps!

incognitochick

Chirping
Dec 25, 2018
San Buena Ventura, California
I have been lurking here for several months. Joined on Christmas day 2018, lurked some more without posting anything. However I did and do enjoy studying up on the vast knowledge here. I thank all contributors for your silent input as I have slowly been building my coop and run. I don't have all the free time or traditional days off, so it is an unfortunate slow project. I'm in California, (southern) and the rain has also inhibited all the plans dancing in my head. Here is an image of what I have so far. My goal was to not purchase any lumber whatsoever because I have a #$@! load of leftovers from various projects as well as unwanted donated cedar that was left to me from a community garden that was closed down. What was purchased new?, , a few hinges, the corrugated roofing as well as the screws. I have to say, the screws are pretty pricey. (good thing I didn't need the lumber) I have started to screen in the run with hardware cloth which was also a large purchase. Again I wanted to thank all here for your lessons. Many of you have instilled in me the importance of NOT buying a prefab coop. (even if I could already have my chicks) LOL. IMG_1059.JPG IMG_1058.JPG IMG_1067.JPG
The coop is roughly 36 x 39. I had to incorporate this top window of an old dutch door I had since the 80's. It never fit anywhere but it works for me now. That is the north side so the sun isn't beating in. The nesting box opens from the side and is on the West, with a passion fruit vine and a dwarf mulberry. The wood above that is a hinged flip up panel. The second image is the South side. The section above the chicken door has double shutter doors and will be hardware cloth behind it. The East side wall is actually a door. The entire wall opens for easy clean out. Prob will have a window in it eventually. I am trying to make it as convertible as I can for some major air flow in this So Cal, beach weather. If I need to, it can be a sort of open air coop. Once all the predator proofing is complete the chicks can just have the entire run and coop day and night if its super hot. Once the main run is complete I have plans on making an extension to the East with 2 rotational runs/gardens. That area is actually my annual veggie garden.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Nice job! It's coming along just fine.
How many chickens are you getting?
Are you in the vND quarantine area?

Thank you, thank you!

I am allowed 5 chickens, no roosters. My plan is to only have 2 that are laying at a time. We will see if I stick to that equation. HA! My main purpose is for fresh eggs and garden companions. I'm thinking a Dominique and an Austalorp. Second choice would be RIR and BR.
There was 1 case of vND in Ventura county last August. It just states that it was a backyard show bird. Sad. Doesnt state where in the county and it is pretty large. I know that many poultry shows have been cancelled. I will be careful when getting them. I already have a few local people trying to get me to take some babies. I declined the offers. I may be using the dare 2 dream farm as my source. they are about an hour north and have several guarantees.

Love your dobie too!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom