Hi all

Zola

Chirping
12 Years
Dec 15, 2008
I'm Zola, I live in Weston, WV, and we have a flock of Buckeyes, they were offically six months old today.

I'm very much enjoying this forum, there's a lot of good info here!

I have been absolutely hooked since I've found this site - not sure where I am spending more time with - the chicks or this site!!!!

Welcome to BYC and have fun!
lol.png
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
Thanks!
smile.png

We love them, we were really surprised at how bright and personable they are. I don't know how well they would fare in a chicken tractor, they do like to run around, and they are very fast, LOL!

We notice very distinct personalities in our flock, there are several that just love to cuddle and then those that are indifferent, but none of them are nasty. One of them really startled me last summer, I had gone over to their food area, which is just a small pen made with chicken wire that is left open so they can go in and out as they please, and she just flew up on to my arm and sat there very happily until I finally had to put her down because my arm was getting tired!

They're also very curious and like to check things out when we're doing yard work. They are adept at finding and trying to eat things they aren't supposed to, and that part has been a pain because the former owners of this property, were, to put it in the kindest way possible, less than ideal in their waste-disposal practices.

We got the creek cleaned out last spring, but we're still hauling trash out from under the modular (although we have the worst now). Still, during the summer, one of the girls managed to get a piece of fishing line that was in the grass somewhere. She'd gotten enough in that gentle pulling didn't release it, but happily, cutting it close to the beak and keeping an eye on her was all that was needed, it was very old line that wasn't in good shape so it went through harmlessly.

The other surprise was that they aren't skittish at all--you can walk right by them with the lawn mower and while they don't come running to you, neither does it frighten them. We get LOTS of comments on how pretty they are, everyone from the UPS guy to the work crews who were trimming dead limbs.

Back
Top Bottom