Hi all!

Fallie

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 9, 2017
Adelaide, SA
Hi all! I'm Kelsey, and I just got my two first backyard hens since moving out on my own. I have a beautiful Speckled Sussex hen who likes to tell me alllll about her day, and a gorgeous brown Cochin hen who doesn't do much squawking, but will stare at you with her supermodel eyes.

I found this forum just by googling 'Backyard Chicken forum', so that was nice and easy! I'm also part of the Australian FB group, Backyard Poultry. Been very helpful with all my newbie questions!

We don't have any other pets right now, although my partner and I have been planning on adopting a puppy for about a year now, but we still have a couple fences we need to put up for that! And he's working full-time and I'm about to graduate uni, so it's all been a little hectic. So glad we can come home to our girls these days though, they're such friendly little souls.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 21371077_1633179043383334_3829295830134214428_n.jpg
    21371077_1633179043383334_3829295830134214428_n.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 9
  • 21463082_1633179030050002_6681225137066347340_n.jpg
    21463082_1633179030050002_6681225137066347340_n.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 5
Hi Kelsey and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining and congrats on your girls!

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your country thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area -
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/598568/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island

All the best

Pork Pie

:welcome

Glad you're enjoying the birds! I've raised SS before and they are a wonderful breed, very personable.

Congrats on your upcoming graduation and thanks for joining us!

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
We are glad you joined our flock.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Kelsey have you discovered how relaxing it is to watch "chicken tv," Full color episodes, no reruns, no advertisements, no cable or satellite bill. What not to like?

You mentioned an Australian site, do you live there? We have "Australia, six states and one funny little Island," thread as well.

Glad you joined the flock :wee

Hi guys! Thank you for all the welcomes! Yes, I do live down in Australia! I'll have to suss out that thread!!
I LOVE chicken tv, almost as much as I love chicken gossip - which SS seem to excel at.

Hi and welcome :frowI'm in OZ too. I started with 6 chicks and their mum. A year later i have 14 chickens, two geese, three ducks and 11 duck eggs in my incubator. Poultry has become addictive so be warned :lau On the plus side poultry TV at my place is now VERY entertaining!

I used to have ducks when I lived with my mum, but through high school I got too busy to dedicate enough time to them, so I made the decision to give them to a good friend who rears Indian Runners and absolutely adored them (they deserved no less, they used to get berries and corn for breakfast!!) Now that I'm in a house of my own, we can seriously consider expanding our flock oneday. Firstly, we've been planning on chickens and a dog for a year now, so one step at a time! <3

Back
Top Bottom