Hi Backyard Chicken Lovers!

Henthused

Songster
8 Years
Oct 14, 2014
N. GA
I am not really new to raising chickens. Maybe novice?
My grandmother raised chickens for their eggs and meat. Each Thanksgiving when we visited, I and my cousins had the honor of scalding the chicken, then plucking. What fun! HaHa
We really always loved visiting and staying with MaMaw.
This is my 2nd go-around keeping chickens for us. We finally have a place that allows me to keep a pretty close eye on them, and my dogs herd them like sheep.
This time I started out with 7 then gave 4 away. My little tractor coop was too small.
My little flock consists of 1-Black Australorp pullet and 2- Marraduna Basque pullets. I am really taking a fancy to the Spanish breeds, but not much luck in finding breeders.
I have been lurking on the basque and spanish breeds threads for a while, now.
We are building a much larger coop with good run space, and my pullets love to free range. I want to add a few more to the group, but I am not a breeder, so buying dozens of eggs or babies won't work for me at this time.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! Nice little flock you have! I love Australorps. Is your girl a friendly one? My Aussies are huge lap hounds. Can't sit anywhere without a bird wanting on my lap!

Enjoy your wonderful flock and welcome to ours!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've had dozens of breeds over the past 50 years but never any Maraduna Basques. Maybe you can post some pics for us. Black Australorps are my favorite breeds; extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter), made lap pets of ours, and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom