Hi! Been lurking a long time reading and learning....

PolishPeepers

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2017
I figure it's time I introduce myself. I have 22 chickens, my barnyard assortment of Buff orphingtons, Jersey giants, Rhode Island Reds, Dominiques, Barred Rocks Wellsummers , Cuckoo Marans and Polish Laced. I also have 5 Black French copper marans on lock down in the incubator, and More Cuckoo marans, Wellsummers, Polish laced and two Pekin Ducks coming in 3 days from Ideal Poultry!
I used to be very involved with my chickens, then life happened, about 7 years ago I chose to take care of my beloved mom here in our home until she passed away at 92 in January. I found I had nothing but time on my hands (I'm retired) my horses are all in late 20s and 30s now, so decided to transform a foaling stall and viewing room here near the house into coops. One is done, and working on the other 3. I'm learning things here even years with chickens never taught me, Thank you!

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Sounds like you have a wonderful flock! I am sorry to hear your Mom passed away though. :hugs It's tough to lose a parent. I lost my Dad a few years back, he was 86.

Horses will keep you busy! I used to keep them but poultry are my speed now. :old :lol: But they sure were fun to keep.

Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our roost! :)

Hi, thanks, yes, horses definitely keep you busy! I turn 60 in a few months and now chickens are more my speed! At one time when we used to rescue, we had 28 horses, we'd vet, get them well, train and find loving life long homes for them. When hay got over $20 a bale here, we were forced to cut back. We lost six of our original "core" horses to old age in the last few years and have our son's 15 year old quarab here for life as our son delivered him out of his very first horse. We then have my 20 year old QH we've had since age 3, and two of our Walking horses, now retired at 26 and 30. Chickens are much easier to handle now! Sorry about your dad, it's so very hard to lose a beloved parent. I can't wait for my hens to get to laying age, I so miss home grown eggs, plus eggs are now nearing $3 a dozen here in Northern California!! Here's a pic of my granddaughter I took yesterday as we were setting up the chickens dust bath, just have to add some screened dirt to the sand, some DE and chicken herbs! :)
arianna and chicks June 2017.jpg

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Sounds like you have a wonderful flock! I am sorry to hear your Mom passed away though. :hugs It's tough to lose a parent. I lost my Dad a few years back, he was 86.

Horses will keep you busy! I used to keep them but poultry are my speed now. :old :lol: But they sure were fun to keep.

Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our roost! :)

Hi, thanks, yes, horses definitely keep you busy! I turn 60 in a few months and now chickens are more my speed! At one time when we used to rescue, we had 28 horses, we'd vet, get them well, train and find loving life long homes for them. When hay got over $20 a bale here, we were forced to cut back. We lost six of our original "core" horses to old age in the last few years and have our son's 15 year old quarab here for life as our son delivered him out of his very first horse. We then have my 20 year old QH we've had since age 3, and two of our Walking horses, now retired at 26 and 30. Chickens are much easier to handle now! Sorry about your dad, it's so very hard to lose a beloved parent. I can't wait for my hens to get to laying age, I so miss home grown eggs, plus eggs are now nearing $3 a dozen here in Northern California!! Here's a pic of my granddaughter I took yesterday as we were setting up the chickens dust bath, just have to add some screened dirt to the sand, some DE and chicken herbs! :) View attachment 1041272

Yes horses are incredibly expensive anymore. I was keeping goats up to recent and it was the price of hay too that drove me to stop keeping them. I too am pushing 60 years, a couple years out! :highfive:. You go girl!! Oh and nice picture of your granddaughter. :)

Welcome to Backyard Chickens. I am galloping toward 70 (next month) and have refined my napping skills to a fine art. Just wish I would be awake more often and actually get some things done.

PS you might enjoy the "Old Folks Home," thread. You don't have to be old to join but, they are a fine bunch of people. Topics change by the minute and we enjoy each other's company. Newbies are always welcome.

Yes horses are incredibly expensive anymore. I was keeping goats up to recent and it was the price of hay too that drove me to stop keeping them. I too am pushing 60 years, a couple years out! :highfive:. You go girl!! Oh and nice picture of your granddaughter. :)
Thanks! I have 4 months and 9 days to age 60. I have a 31 year old son getting married 5 days after my birthday, and my 4 kids and hubby are planning a big "Surprise Birthday bash" for me some time this fall, it's going to be a BUSY fall for me!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom