Hi BYC!! Need some advice please.

TinaJ718

Chirping
May 3, 2015
Hi All! I am picking up my 1st two chicks tonight, I have been studying and reading all the info I can get and feel surprisingly ready! I have my coop, my nest box, pine bedding, food and water ready, and a heat lamp. I am picking up two chicks, a silkie bantam/Americana mix. I asked the owner to hold these two chicks for me... any ideas or help telling if they are female? Or if they look like a different breed? She said they wouldn't get real big and sent the 3rd pic of the rest of her chickens. What do experienced members think!?!? Thank you!!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am not really good at breed ID. You might post pics in our What breed and Gender section when they are a bit older....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Enjoy this new adventure you are on! If you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask around the forums.

Welcome to our flock!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Lovely chicks there but I think they are a little young yet to sex but please do post in the what breed gender section of the forum that TwoCrows has you the link for.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your chicks, it's lots of fun and very rewarding raising them. It's something I enjoy very much. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Welcome to our community!
welcome-byc.gif

Glad you could join BYC! It is too early to be sure, but for now both chicks look like females. The top one does look like a Silkie or Silkie mix and the second does appear to be an Americana mix (though it is hard to tell what goes into mixed breeds sometimes).

Congratulations on the beginnings of your chicken adventures! I hope your new babies all transition well into their new homes and turn into happy, productive laying hens.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have! We'll be happy to help.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom