HI BYC peeps, I'm new!

dipilu2

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 26, 2014
I just lost my darling first little hen. Absolutely heartbroken, She was a little black silkie. :(

These silkies are my first set of chickens and apparently she died of Coccidiosis from the wild birds that come into the yard. I've learned to treat the water and dust with DE in the coops and on the chickens for mites. I only wish I'd have known before hand ;(

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! So sorry about your little black Silkie, :hugs it is so hard to lose a pet you love. Hope your heart will heal, we on BYC do understand how much you adored your little hen.

Thank you. I didn't realize just how much until she was gone. She would run to me for hugs everyday after I got home from work and sing to me all about her day.
hit.gif

Well, I've been treating my little rooster now and he seems healthy cuz of the water treatment but has mites, man they are hard to get rid of! I've been dusting weekly with DE, cleaning and sterilizing the coop every weekend, and tried to cuddle with him today but found 3 on me still, sheesh!

Thank you Kelsie, it surprises me how much I miss her. So I'm trying to get another one but they are hard to find.

And I just bought her a little red bandana back apron…sigh. Every time I see it I get all choked up. I had no idea chickens were so cool

Last edited:
Your little girl sounds like she was such a sweet little one, and apparently a big gossip :)

DE will not work on a mite infestation once you have one. You will need to use some sort of chemical treatment, on the coop and on the birds etc. Do you know what kind of mites you are dealing with?

Back
Top Bottom