Hi Chicken Loving Friends

RootandRoost

Chirping
Aug 19, 2019
Norman, OK
Hi. Chickens came into my life in spring 2015. I started with four (five actually, but one died at a week old) and now have 13 hens, 1 rooster and 8 chicks (approx. 6 weeks old).

Of my four originals (other than the week old chick who died), two are still living. One had issues shortly after she began to lay. She gave me my first "homegrown" egg and was very sweet. She was a red-sex link. I suspect she had reproductive issues. In the short time she laid eggs, they were always huge double-yolkers. She became sick and I nursed her back to health and she was fine (although never laid another egg) until last February. My thought is that our rooster had started doing his roosterly duties...and maybe it triggered something in her reproductive system. That is just a guess. Her name was Marjorie.
My other original was a black cochin and the sweetest hen. She liked to be carried around. She simply disappeared from the chicken yard. Found out a few days later that we had a neighborhood coyote with pups. Peggy.

We also lost a RIR to a neighbor's dog. The dog wasn't being violent but picked her up by the neck...and it broke her neck. Jolene.

I would like to talk about all of my chickens, but realize that is probably boring for most people--even those who love chickens--to read.

We also have a medium sized garden, 2 dogs, 2 cats, and a pet turtle.

Currently we are dealing with extreme heat (in central Oklahoma) and trying to keep everyone alive. Our heat index is 112 at this moment.

When searching all my various chicken questions over the years, this forum always comes up so why not join, right?

wave high happy.gif

Hi. Chickens came into my life in spring 2015. I started with four (five actually, but one died at a week old) and now have 13 hens, 1 rooster and 8 chicks (approx. 6 weeks old).

Of my four originals (other than the week old chick who died), two are still living. One had issues shortly after she began to lay. She gave me my first "homegrown" egg and was very sweet. She was a red-sex link. I suspect she had reproductive issues. In the short time she laid eggs, they were always huge double-yolkers. She became sick and I nursed her back to health and she was fine (although never laid another egg) until last February. My thought is that our rooster had started doing his roosterly duties...and maybe it triggered something in her reproductive system. That is just a guess. Her name was Marjorie.
My other original was a black cochin and the sweetest hen. She liked to be carried around. She simply disappeared from the chicken yard. Found out a few days later that we had a neighborhood coyote with pups. Peggy.

We also lost a RIR to a neighbor's dog. The dog wasn't being violent but picked her up by the neck...and it broke her neck. Jolene.

I would like to talk about all of my chickens, but realize that is probably boring for most people--even those who love chickens--to read.

We also have a medium sized garden, 2 dogs, 2 cats, and a pet turtle.

Currently we are dealing with extreme heat (in central Oklahoma) and trying to keep everyone alive. Our heat index is 112 at this moment.

When searching all my various chicken questions over the years, this forum always comes up so why not join, right?

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

Back
Top Bottom