Hi,Chickens and Roundup

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Charlene, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Just wondering what you all do when you have to spray weeds. I usually use Roundup. I assume I'll lock my girls up all day but is one day enough? Is there something more natural that anyone can suggest? Thanks.

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    A goat [​IMG] LOL I don't mind weeds... I either just pull them out after a nice rain or just mow them.

3. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Are you talking about weeding a whole lawn where they spend time, or just weeds here and there that you spray. Pouring salt on weeds kills them.

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Careful getting that stuff around the birds.

I lost 3 last year to kidney failure and almost a 4th. The vet said it was poisoning, but too much time had passed to tell what. The only thing that was different was that Dad went around the back of the lot with weed killer, even I told him to stay away from my chickens.

Matt

5. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    I'm in California so it's dry. The chicks are in the barn area (fenced, about 1/4 acre) and it's just packed dirt, gravel and weeds. I usually spray the weeds, but maybe I can try weed wacking them....

Anybody else with horses? Do you worry about when your medicating the horses (bute or antibiotics) how they always drop some feed and then I worry the chickens will eat it. Any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by