Hi everyone, first time chicken owner.

Thanks so much, guys for the warm welcome. I'm very excited now, I was feeling a little nervous but so nice to know there's a wealth of knowledge here and that you're all so supportive.

:frow Hi, Ireland! Missouri here in the heartland (middle) of America! All your birds are lovely but I agree, that one in the center has stolen my heart as well. I saw one like her in a picture here recently and I was taken with that heart pattern. Her owner said she was a multi-generational barnyard mix.

I know, I've fallen so hard for her and she is just the sweetest. Very food orientated. According to the breeder she's the result of crossing Sussex paternal stock with Barred Plymouth Rock maternal stock.

I can't find out much about the Mottled Ranger, doesn't seem to be a googlable breed.

Anyone know anything about them, she is apparently a white egg layer (Which I'm so excited for because I've never seen a white egg in person, feels so American!)

And the other is a Black copper Maran, but a friend of ours thinks that she might be a Blackrock, anyone have any insight, I hope she's a Maran, I want to see those chocolate eggs.

Oh I just realized I never said their names... Tandoori, Tuscan and Tikka (Maran, Daisybelle, Mottled)

Last edited:
😄 wow, it's amazing to think you've not seen a white egg! I was all grown up before I ever saw a brown egg, and a blue/green egg sent me into absolute transports of joy and amazement! All your birds are really pretty. I hope you have room for several more, if you are anything like the rest of us you are soon to be afflicted with a case of what we call Chicken Math! 🤣

😄 wow, it's amazing to think you've not seen a white egg! I was all grown up before I ever saw a brown egg, and a blue/green egg sent me into absolute transports of joy and amazement! All your birds are really pretty. I hope you have room for several more, if you are anything like the rest of us you are soon to be afflicted with a case of what we call Chicken Math! 🤣
I know right, we're an island of brown eggs. Growing up watching American TV, it was so alien. Then I found out that ye could only really get brown eggs at farmers markets and such (though I presume that's changed?) I was hoping to get my hands on olive or green layer but no luck - maybe in the next lot!

We currently have just enough room for the three of them, but we're working on building something bigger at the moment (If we ever agree on the plans) Unfortunately, we're in the process of looking for a new home so we won't be expanding the flock until that complete. Once in our forever home, we'll be building something big and permanent and the chicken math can kick in. Sure if you have 3 why not 27 😂

It used to be true that brown eggs were a novelty and a rarity, but now you can get them at major grocery stores like Walmart if you sre willing to pay extra for them. Thry are often labeled Organic, Farm-Fresh, Cage-Free, Free-Range and such and may cost twice or three times regular white eggs.

Hi everyone, complete newbie here. We just welcomed three ladies into our home last Friday. So we're now a household of two hoomans, two cats and three chickens.
We've made so many mistakes so far
:welcome! You’ll find many good post on here on how to care for your chickens! You can also post if you know how to care for a sick chicken! Glad your here! 😊

Sorry, I lost balance and hit Post before I meant to. Best wishes in finding your forever home and expanding your flock! I love my Easter Eggers! I also have Brown Leghorns (white eggs, lol) and Black Australorps (which I am convinced keep hawks away as they look like big crows. Brown eggs). Good luck to you! ❤

Back
Top Bottom