Hi everyone! First timer from NH

Jms040115

Hatching
May 13, 2015
Just bought our first home & are in the process of incubating & building our first coop. Looking forward to reading all the advice & tips

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome! So many sites on building coops. Have fun looking them over. Small, med., or large, there are some good ideas on here.
I have some eggs in right now, due to go into lock down on Tues. Love those babies. :)

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on your first home :celebrate What breed/s are you incubating? I too love incubating and hatching it's very addictive but lots of fun and very rewarding.
Lots of ideas for coops in the coop section, here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

Wishing you the very best of luck with your eggs I hope you have a great hatch. Good luck with the coop build. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hatch and in getting your coop built.

I guess I'll tell my whole story then ask questions.

I bought a little giant still air iMcIntyre from a woman in my area. I also purchased a dozen fertile eggs. She gave me the egg carton with the pointy end up on all the eggs. I put them in the incubator on May 12th. I was told to keep the temperature between 98-99.5. So I did. I also went out and purchased am egg turner 1-2 days later and put the eggs in the same way I got them. This woman told me she had been raising chickens for over 30 years but gave me the eggs pointy side up an didn't tell me to flip them when I sent her the picture of them in the incubator. A few days later I joined BYC. I saw that eggs need to be put in the egg carton round side up before incubation & in the egg turner. So I flipped them. My husband candled them the next day. No embryos. My kids were really upset. I messaged the woman and she got really defensive and said she would give me my money back. Today, May 25th, I got a half dozen fertile eggs that were laid either last night and/or today and put them into the incubator round side up. I also purchased a digital thermometer that reads both temperature and humidity.

Question time!

Is it true the temperature for a still air incubator should be higher than one with a fan? Reading between 101-102?

Is it true for a still air incubator that the humidity be between 45-50?

Is it better to add water occasionally or no water at all?

What is the best way to get the humidity Togo up?

any advice would be great thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom