Hi everyone! I'm new and I have a question;)

katiechicknlady

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 18, 2013
Greeley, CO
Hello, BYC. So this is my first year raising chickens...they have been such a blast! Our coop is an old shed that we renovated and then added a large connected run to it. We have 12 standards (Buffs, Barred Rocks, New Hampshires, Sex Links, Sussex & Americaunas) & 5 Bantams (Sebrights & Duckwings). The shed/coop has been great during the summer, but now that fall is staring to come on I'm starting to think about winterizing. I'm wondering if it will be a problem that the flooring is cement? I live in far Northern Colorado. The climate is very dry, windy and quite cold in the winters (well below freezing, though rarely for an extended period of time). Also, the coop has one larger South facing window, but I'm considering adding another Eastern facing window to get the early morning sun in there for my ladies. Any input/information would be very much appreciated!:)

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
The most important things with a winter coop is that it is kept as dry as possible and draft free, without compromising on ventilation. There are quite a few discussions on what to do and not, like this one:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/392510/first-winter-with-chickens/0_50

So have a look around the Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance section and/or type in keywords such as "winter coop" into the search bar above and see what the members say worked for them.

Hi Katie,
In winter, your main concern is to protect them from the North wind and any rain. Otherwise they can stand the cold temp., mostly. For younger chicken when feathers are not quite full, some heat lamps will help them keeping warm. The concrete floor will be too cold so keep the young chicks away; or you can add a layer of sand on top of the concrete.

I have 2ft by 2 ft slabs of concrete pads for my floor. I put them on 4" by 4" posts that I laid them on top of. l have no issues with the cold, i put straw down on top and that works great and it keeps the rodents from getting in. Easy to hose down when needed.

I have 2ft by 2 ft slabs of concrete pads for my floor. I put them on 4" by 4" posts that I laid them on top of. l have no issues with the cold, i put straw down on top and that works great and it keeps the rodents from getting in. Easy to hose down when needed.

X 2 bedding on the concrete at least in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom