Hi everyone, My name is Jason, I am looking forward to chatting with everyone

OldEnglishGB76

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 31, 2013
I have to start off by saying right now I do not have any chickens right now, although if everything goes right I will have my house ( in the city) sold and find a place in the country again and I can't wait!

I used to have a small farm in Mo. but sold it and moved back home to my parents house , when my dad was diagnosed with 4 different types of cancer , to help take care of him and my mom, sadly my dad only lasted 14 days from the day he was diagnosed and my mom passed away a few years later and its been a couple years since she passed and have decided it's time to move back to the country ( no idea exactley where yet ) ...

When I had my small farm I raised all kinds of chickens ( except oegb, no idea why either I have always wanted too) I raised quail bantams - jersey giants and when I sold my farm I had roughly 250-300 chickens , some was pure bred but some mixed , but I loved them all the same, each and everyone of them was different , even some of the same species of pure bred it would take me a minute but I could tell them apart from each other, and each had their own personalities , my uncle had given me a black rose comb bantam, he was a beautiful rooster , but my uncle warned me to always where leather boots or high tops when I would be in his pen , one day I found out why... I got done feeding and filling up his waterer and was walking toward the door of his cage and felt a THUD!!! on my left foot , so I looked down.and there he was with both spurs firmed embeded into the top of my high top shoe!!! and naturally " big guy" ( the black rose combs name... haha) was freaking out cause he was stuck so I took off my.shoe and gently pulled his spurs out... ALL 2.5 INCHES OF THEM EACH!!!! I knew when he would walk you could hear a click click click with each step but had no idea a 22 oz rooster could have spurs that big! needless to say I kept them trimmed after that haha...

I thought everyone would enjoy that story, anyone else have a funny story ?

welcome-byc.gif
One time after I was done feeding everybody, I was heading back to the house and my rooster chased my down and blocked my path trying to 'herd' me back around. He was used to getting a handful of treats every morning and that day I had forgotten. He didn't spur me or anything, so I found it funny as all get out! I also haven't forgotten since
wink.png

Thanks for the warm welcome !! Kathryn P, redsoxs, Bantamfan4life !!!
I really liked your story Kathryn! chickens do get spoiled so easily ( and I do enjoy spoiling them )

another funny story is when my nephew would come spend the summer with me , I caught him teasing one of my plain ole white leghorns and I got onto him and he supposedly stopped but do you know that rooster would come out of the chicken house and wait on my front porch and pace till my nephew came out and the second he did the race was on!!!!! never ever seen my nephew run so fast! also found out hot coffee coming out your nose cause your laughing so hard burns soooooo bad!!! hahahaha

Thankyou, it has been a rough transition but , now I cant get out of the city fast enough, just hope my house sells quickly , right now I am living in Illinois but not exactley sure if I want to move back to missouri or some where else and have a totally fresh start.

in both of my storeies, the roosters lived for a very long time ( dont remember exactley ) but they died of natural causes , I actually built that white leghorn rooster a seperate pen and naturally gave him a few W.L hens and his run was 10 x 25 , what was kinda funny is anyone else... I mean anyone could walk up to that roo and pick him up and pet him, he would climb up on my shoulder and just sit there as I would walk around doing my morning chores, but if he seen my nephew he was running trieing his best to get him....
I used to tell my nephew ( he was in his teens) hey why did the chicken cross the road ? he'd go I dunno and I'd say cause he saw you hahaha we would both have a laugh and one day after I said that while we was chuckling I stopped and said Run the roosters out!!! my nephew took off running so fast he ran clean out of both shoes!

as far as my " big guy" ( the rose comb bantam) As I seen his time was coming I stopped clipping his spurs , but spent most of my time with him, I would talk and he would look up at me and just had that look like he knew what I was saying, I tried so hard to get him a few hens but didnt find any , I did get some chicks from him though, while him and all my other bantams was free ranging apparently he took a liking to all the white with black tailed japanese hens that was actually supposedly mixed with some kind of OEGB but if you looked at them and a picture of full blooded JB they look identical , short stubby leggs and all and fought off their roo, ( not suprised at all , I kid you all not , I seen that little RCB get into a fight with a jersey giant! full grow roo 13 lbs + and big jumpeed up and kicked and knocked that jersey giant over and the J.G took off ... that was over the black JG hens , (I do not agree with cock fighting or promoting it as sport but as we all know who has raised more than 1 rooster at a time and let them free range know occassionally a fight will break out but generally neither get hurt) BUT to see a 22 oz RCB fight a full grown mature 13 lb + JG and completely knock him to where he almost did a backward summersault was down right histarical to me..... it reminded me of something you would see as a cartoon growing up ( kinda giving away my age here haha)

O When my big guy passed I did take his spurs and took a drill bit and drilled each one and then polished them and then brushed this stuff i dont remember what itbwas called but got it from my cousin who was a taxidermist at the time which completely sealed it even painted it down inside the holes I drilled and I let it cure for a few days and then I lightly wet sanded them to really polish them up and then made me a necklace out of a peice of black suede string and those spurs and a few beads, just so I would always have him where ever I would go , but the day my first wife left me one of the things she took was my necklace .....

Back
Top Bottom