Hi Everyone! New here with questions

mamahen09

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 7, 2009
For starters...... Our first 12 babies just turned 6 weeks old today. 11 Gold Sex Links, and 1 RIR. We're not sure if "Red" is a Pullet or a Roo. Red has a very prominent Cone and huge waddles. We also have 4 RIR's & 2 Gold Sex Links that just turned 4 weeks old today. All named for the Characters on "I Love Lucy", lol.
Now the questions.... At what age do the Roo's start to crow? And around what age do the pullets start laying?
I'm concerned I could have 3-4 Roo's and I need help identifying the sex...so I will post pictures ASAP.
Thanks In Advance for the help.
mamahen09

Farmerpete here,. In the future , if you want to determine the sex of you chickens, do it after they hatch and dry out. Extend one of their wings and you will notice two layers of fethers. If the bottom layer is longer than the top layer, then its a roo. If both layers are the same length, then its a pullet. Thats how we do it , we learned that on the TV show "How its made". so far we've been right every time.

I've never had a RIR roo, but I've had other breeds who've crowed as early as 7 weeks. Your pullets should start laying between 18 and 22 weeks of age.

Back
Top Bottom