Hi everyone, new user

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by embz20, May 14, 2011.

1. embz20

embz20 New Egg

May 14, 2011
    Hi everyone!

I'm new here! I love chickens, and other birds.
    Can't have chickens right now (apt.) but I grew up with them and spent lots of time with them.

I also have had parakeets all my life. Right now have 3, two adults male and female (not a mated pair), and I'm hand rearing a parakeet chick from someone else's birds.

I'm looking for tips on raising this parakeet chick. I've raised and nursed to health various other kinds of birds but this is first time for parakeet. It's almost 2 weeks -strong, healthy, and a good eater. Right now I have the chick in a Tupperware with cloth and a heating pad. Keeping it between 30-32 degree C. I feed him/her every 3-4 hours on a Kaytee exact formula. I'm also tying to spend time with him/her, talking and interacting. I'd like to someday have it get along with my current parakeets too.

I also know it's a difficult process and it's certainly taking up lots of time, but with care I'm hopeful I can help this baby grow into a wonderful bird! It'll be worth it!

[​IMG]

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana

Sorry can't help you with your question!! I'm sure someone will come long that can!!

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  3. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

Good luck with your little bird. I had a parakeet once, oh how I loved that little bird! Hope to see pictures of the baby soon!

4. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Welcome! [​IMG]

Glad you found the forum.

I've had a couple of parakeets, but I am not a parakeet expert nor keeper. I did keep African Greys that came from a nest in Africa as babies. Had them for 20 + years.

I hope you can have chickens again soon.

Meanwhile, this may be of help as you get to know your way around https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1198

5. embz20

embz20 New Egg

May 14, 2011
    Thanks everyone!

I WILL have chickens again, the moment I have the space for them! I miss having "the girls" hanging in the backyard giving delicious eggs! Chickens are such great company too.

And yes! I'll post pics of my birds, (and old chickens I've had) as soon as I'm allowed [​IMG]

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Good luck with your parakeet [​IMG]

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good luck. [​IMG]

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi there! Welcome from western Kentucky. I'm glad you decided to join us! Lots of friendly folks, tons of useful information, lots of goodnatured fun & ribbing, answers to almost any question one could ask... what's not to love? [​IMG] Pull up a comfy chair & let's get acquainted! [​IMG]

9. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
  10. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]
    Keep us posted on the progress of your little one. I will look forward to seeing lots of pics. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by