Hi everyone

hometowngal

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 12, 2014
Plymouth, ma
Hi people,
I'm from Plymouth mass. Single Mom to four awesome kids. Over the past three years, I've discovered a passion for building things. I have built playhouses, lemonade stands, rabbit mansions, my very own tool shed, and many other things. I posted many pictures of some of my work in my album under my profile.
I love the idea of repurposing things. In the spring, I'm going to build a chicken coop. We had chickens years ago, but raccoons were always an issue and back then I had no idea exactly HOW capable I was of fixing it and building a more secure enclosure. Now, years later and after having a considerable amount of "tinkering" hours under my belt, I'm excited to embark on this journey again. I loved having chickens and I can't wait to do it again.
I was curious though, what is the best material to spread throughout the chicken run?

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I prefer coarse sand or fine pea gravel spread across the floor of the run as it drains well so that it won't stay damp when it gets wet, it's easy to clean (just hose it down), and it doesn't breed mold or mildew. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

welcome-byc.gif

Our native "dirt" is more sand than anything else and that's what is in our run. I just run a rake around it every day and scoop up the poo, it's easy to take care of. You're going to find people use different materials for just about every aspect of poultry keeping (bedding, run material, coops, etc.), there usually isn't just one way/best way of doing some things. What works for me here in FL may not be the best fit for you in MA.

You might find it's helpful to post on your state thread, here's a link that will get you there:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

Thanks for joining us, good luck!

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you have joined us.

You have great talent for building, love the pics - your accomplishments are very impressive.

Good luck with your new adventure.

Back
Top Bottom