Hi everyone!

gengargirl

Chirping
May 11, 2021
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Kind of and kind of not. My grandmother had a pet isa brown called 'Chookie' who jumped the fence one day and decided my grandparents were her 'people'. I had a bit of experience with her. My in-laws also own chicken and over the years have shared chicken tidbits. However, in terms of owning chickens myself, I am extremely new to this and learning as I go.

I received three chickens last Saturday. I have a bantam black Araucana pullet, a lavnder araucana pullet and an isa x Wyandotte hen. No names as of yet, and they're quite scared, and definitely don't love me yet lol, but easy to pick up and my toddler son and I LOVE them.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?

Black araucana bantam, lavender araucana and an isa brown x Wyandotte

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love the idea of getting up to fresh eggs, experiencing their personalities, seeing their chicken 'zoomies' around the yard and their help in the garden (both their poo and their digging). I live in Australia and our yard has quite dense clay soil. I'm hoping that instead of digging in products to improve the soil, the chicken poop and their scratching will at least improve it a bit.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I am studying to be an Early Childhood and Primary School Teacher (birth - 12 years). I love to garden, hang out with my two-year old son and our two pugs.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I live with my partner, two-year old son, two pugs and now three chickens!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I had a couple of concerns/questions about my chickens and when googling BYC was constantly coming up so I figured this is where all the knowledgeable people are!

Wow great bio Welcome to Backyard Chickens Use to show Pugs love the breed
My partner absolutely loves them and he was the one who convinced me to get one many years ago now. I fell in love and now that we have two, they are so amazing with our son (best friends), and are awesome with our new chickens. Great to meet you @penny1960 and lovely to find someone else who loves them as much as I do!

Back
Top Bottom