hi everyone

Faeshka

Chirping
May 18, 2022
south Georgia
I'm new here since I'm in the process of adding some chickens to my farm in south Georgia. I've had ducks & geese before when I lived up north, but have never had chickens. I've had many types of animals over the years and am looking forward to learning how to care for chickens. What I'd really like to do is build an impervious, fortified chicken tractor (a chicken tank if you will :)) to move over our pastures to help improve the soil, protect the chickens and also protect our crops from the chickens ;). I have some pretty horrible health issues and my diet these days is limited to milk, fruit, bread and eggs. Given how many things I'm allergic too, I am determined to produce the highest quality eggs I can. Food is important, and it's even more important when there's very few foods a person can eat. My goal with the chickens is to have enough eggs for myself & my dad to eat. The only one here who can actually eat chicken meat is the dog. We found out the hard way that we're both allergic to duck & goose eggs.

I'm mostly interested now in learning about pastured chicken raising, if the brooder I have is ok for chicks and just how much food I need to plan to buy. I have learned the hard way over the years that I have to be careful about what feeds I give my animals since I am evidently very allergic to some things and being an allergy crash test dummy is just no fun at all. :D;) My goal with the chickens as with all of my animals is to ensure I am giving them the best care possible while balancing my own health needs.

Welcome to BYC.
Pictures of the brooder you are wondering about?
It's an old plastic tub. I think it's the largest size Rubbermaid roughneck tote. I think it's like this, but mine is a different color. I have to dig it out. I have a wooden frame with hardware cloth stapled to the bottom to form a floor, so I could put wood pellets underneath for bedding. I used it for ducklings and goslings 6-8 years ago.

It's an old plastic tub. I think it's the largest size Rubbermaid roughneck tote. I think it's like this, but mine is a different color. I have to dig it out. I have a wooden frame with hardware cloth stapled to the bottom to form a floor, so I could put wood pellets underneath for bedding. I used it for ducklings and goslings 6-8 years ago.
That should work just fine for about 10 chicks for a week. How many do you plan on starting with?

Back
Top Bottom